Transmission Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that the codes were saying solenoids, but the transmission shop said it was also binding up. The truck wouldn't move in any gear or reverse, but it seemed like it wanted to. It was doing exactly the same thing in neutral.

No offense intended here, but have you checked the cost for a good dealership to address this? If the cost difference between a reputable dealer, and AAmco is insignificant, I can’t see ever going with AAmco in that equation. (Not to mention the interesting stories you hear over the years about their services)

But it sounds to me, like you don’t likely need a full rebuild, but the solenoids replaced. That’s enough reason to go elsewhere for the service.

Edited to correct my moronic mistake wrt the shop name.

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense intended here, but have you checked the cost for a good dealership to address this? If the cost difference between a reputable dealer, and Maaco is insignificant, I can’t see ever going with Maaco in that equation. (Not to mention the interesting stories you hear over the years about their services)

But it sounds to me, like you don’t likely need a full rebuild, but the solenoids replaced. That’s enough reason to go elsewhere for the service.
that is because the shop is only going to replace the solenoids but claim that they rebuilt it..

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AAmco is a joke... they pad the hours, as seen here... THEY also don't do work that is on the paper... Supposed to be rebuilt trans, only thing they did when they were in it, replaced solenoids. Another trans, supposed to be rebuilt, took it out, sealed the main things up with new gaskets, put it back in... I have seen too much... TOW THAT TRUCK TO THE DEALER NOW.... Sounds like a solenoid failure honestly... If the 1st is stuck, its all bound up... let the dealer tell you what's wrong... Then figure out where to go. THat trans on rock auto isn't bad for the money with 100k mile warranty... Were just trying to not see you ripped off with junk that breaks in 1000 miles and then bring it back just to have the owner say they wont cover it due to neglect... YEP that happens at AAMCO.... RUN...

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
Got my truck back. They ended up knocking almost $1k off what I was originally quoted because it wasn't as bad as they thought before they opened it up.

Maybe I just got lucky with my local AAMCO, but I'm happy with what I got, especially since I'm probably trading it in on a new truck anyway.

Thanks for the input everyone.

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AAMCO's are franchises, so they can be as good or bad as the operator.
Glad it worked out - most transmission shops have repaired/rebuilt hundreds if not thousands of the 4L6X transmissions - it may be the #1 repaired transmission these days (unless they are in a pocket of Honda owners).

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it. At the end of the day, if you are happy with what you got for the money you spent, that is what matters. The fact that they came down from their initial estimate says something.

BTW - I like the color of your rig.

Trey R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2008 Yukon Denali went into limp mode last night and threw codes p0700, p0751, and p0777. I pulled to the side of the road, put it in park and shut it off. When I started it back up, while in gear, it wouldn't move. It felt like it was trying to, but barely. It behaved the same way in neutral.

So, I had it towed to the transmission shop and was told it needed to be rebuilt. They've quoted me $3250 on the low end, assuming nothing is wrong with the torque convertor and the gears. I'm leaning in that direction, but does that sound accurate to rebuild these transmissions?
I bought a remanufactured transmission FROM LQK IN READING, CA. it was like1500 with a 3 year warranty I've had it for 2 years and so far so good. came with torque converter... which even if you old one is good get a new one cause you will never get the metal shaving from the clutches burning or sun gear shearing if you have no movement at all in any gear it's something called a sun gear that as stripped or the gears broke from the main drive. anyway 3250 is rediculous in my opinion. you can even go on monster transmission have them build you a custom one that can take up to 600 whp for like 3200.... maybe I'm crazy....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my truck back. They ended up knocking almost $1k off what I was originally quoted because it wasn't as bad as they thought before they opened it up.

Maybe I just got lucky with my local AAMCO, but I'm happy with what I got, especially since I'm probably trading it in on a new truck anyway.

Thanks for the input everyone.

John, if you don't mind, could you tell us what they replaced/fixed as noted on the invoice to help folks out here in the future?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900