Transfer Case oil recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transfer Case oil recommendation by a Chevrolet service advisor was to put Royal Purple, Redline, Or Lucas transfer case fluid where my Tahoe says of course Dexron Vi...it was my asking if there is anything I could use other than dexron vi and he came back after asking a technician who owns a 2012 silverado stating he uses royal purple because the tech said the dexron vi in transfer cases doesnt do as good as the brand's mentioned above....anyone use anything other than dexron vi in their tcase?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not me. Are those other fluids Dex VI equivalents? I don't think my transmission would be too happy if the seal between the two leaked and now had gear oil in it.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not me. Are those other fluids Dex VI equivalents? I don't think my transmission would be too happy if the seal between the two leaked and now had gear oil in it.
What brand of oil do you use? I put in mobile 1 atf dexron vi semi synthetic about a month ago.

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
I have always used Lucus in my transfer cases. I use the additives in everything else.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious which Lucas oil to use? Our mechanic at work swears by it, he maintains our AWD Savana vans, but can only put in the company spec oil. Watched him put in a TC and a front Diff... at least I know it's not the end of the world if I have to do that.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Swathdiver, thanks for the info. You've seen my video of my driveline noise....now I'm thinking it feels like it could be my rear differential clutches???? My rpo code is gu4....do I have clutches in my rear diff?

Gu4 is just your gear ratio. 3.08. Do you have code G80?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swathdiver, thanks for the info. You've seen my video of my driveline noise....now I'm thinking it feels like it could be my rear differential clutches???? My rpo code is gu4....do I have clutches in my rear diff?

The clutches chatter when turning, if you have RPO G80, then you have clutches. They are not as prominent with the addition of the locker but still play a role.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts