Specific question regarding oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... use the longer-bodied oil filter
didn't have it so i bought the short one ... why the longer one?
Been reading 540 Rat Blog for a while now. (I'm a slow reader.)
To sum up:
between two otherwise identically constructed filters, the larger version of the same filter does more of each of its jobs better than the smaller one (not only during cold starts).

Doesn't mean the smaller filter is a bad idea, just that the larger filter is a better idea.
PF61 or dimensional equivalent.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you both....Marky for the info and B-train for the solutions.
B-train, everything you said is the exact way I was thinking...wanted to hear it from someone more experienced though. My only follow up question is with the ATF routine for both the oil and to clean the fuel system...I was gonna use the sae foam for both of those....the oil part I know its dump in 1/2 quart, but is really 500 miles? I cant wait that long...maybe 50 - 100 miles, the sea foam recc. is about that. So will the ATF still do its job at 50-100 miles or should I go with the sea foam?
That's just what I do because it's not super aggressive on the cleaning. It just has different levels of base oils that act as cleaning agents. Sea foam is high horsepower compared to ATF, hence the shorter run time. Plus, it will thin out the oil some, whereas the ATF is an oil, just different additives.

I've run it for almost 1k at times because I wasn't overly concerned. There have been past posts on here with similar questions, issues (lifter tick), etc that have good info. Also another about he make-up of ATF and why it acts as a cleaning agent.

Some people don't want any part of it, while others like myself have seen first hand improvements for 25 years when used properly to help certain vehicle ailments. To each their own.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
XXX3!!! ^^^^

No additives and quit using the synthetic for topping off.
Topping off due to oil consumption?
Besides using PCV thingy 12572717, and buying / DIYing a decent catch can, I can only think of the following:

For topping off, any 5W30'll do; it'll either be consumed before or changed out by the next oil change.

If your powertrain works or plays HARD, change the oil more often, and probably install some kind of oil cooler.
(The motor oil portion holding the crank up off the main bearings can easily reach 257F, hotter if working harder.
Some motor oils are already 'smoking' @ 248F. Smoke that does not cool off and reaches the PCV is consumed.)
(Are taller valve covers available for our Gen3 engines - kinda like the taller valve covers for the new PPV's?)
Not even the ATF in the oil or fuel?
ATF is for transmissions. Only ATF additives I use are made by LubeGard.

Engine oil is for engines. Managed to avoid engine oil additives my entire life.
That said, bobistheoilguy.com recommends a few motor oils specifically for slow gradual gentle engine cleaning.
Haven't tried any myself. Maybe someday, maybe not ever - need convincing.

Fuel is for fuel tanks.
Besides Chevron with TechRon (albeit at DOUBLE strength), or Marvel Mystery Oil, doubt I'll try anything else.

As for coolant, I ALWAYS add RMI-25, then flush it out every two years, and add RMI-25 again.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valvoline and ac delco filters from about 11,000 miles to 120k
After that it was 5w30 oriellys house sauce and ac delco or microguard till 395k
Now it gets 10w30 in the winter and 10w40 in the summer at 410k

20230408_140811.jpg
Subtract this from 410,002 and that is when the father in law bought it.
20230408_140819.jpg
Any decent oil and decent filter will work

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
Might not be a lifter. Might be an exhaust leak.

Oh. Forgot to mention, use the longer-bodied oil filter.
If was exhaust it would make the noise continuously...
This comes and goes, could come out of nowhere and get worse as i accelerrate then i could let off gas a few seconds and it may disappear, or it may not...if i reduce speed or gain speed it may go or come, its very random but when its there its very noticeable then it disappears and the engine sounds like new

Reaction score
If was exhaust it would make the noise continuously...
This comes and goes, could come out of nowhere and get worse as i accelerrate then i could let off gas a few seconds and it may disappear, or it may not...if i reduce speed or gain speed it may go or come, its very random but when its there its very noticeable then it disappears and the engine sounds like new
Not entirely so. I have a broken exhaust manifold to head bolt and when the engine is cold it will tick, but goes away after warming up. It will come back and sound almost like spark knock if I heavily accelerate while getting on the highway or something similar. I think the exhaust manifold or gasket expands and seals a bit better after warming up, and leks when accelerating due to more exhaust flow through it.

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
Not entirely so. I have a broken exhaust manifold to head bolt and when the engine is cold it will tick, but goes away after warming up. It will come back and sound almost like spark knock if I heavily accelerate while getting on the highway or something similar. I think the exhaust manifold or gasket expands and seals a bit better after warming up, and leks when accelerating due to more exhaust flow through it.
ok thats interesting....thank you....gonna try and record it but the wind noise may cancel it out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE