Trans Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at adding a trans cooler to our 07 Yukon. Its the SLE with the FF 5.3, does have the towing package with 3.73 gears.....sadly no oem trans cooler though.

How hard would it be to add a aftermarket one? We do a little towing, but will be towing a 16 foot enclosed with 4 atv's inside to the dunes in about a month and will do that once or twice a year. We will also take it on a road trip to florida from kansas in August. We did the same trip last year and on the way home it started shifting funny from 1st to 2nd when we got about 150 miles from home. I think the transmission was just hot. I have been watching the trans temp and in normal driving, I saw around 160-180 this weekend in stop and go traffic and about 70 degrees.

kebm

Reaction score
I added a oem trans cooler to our previous vehicle, a 2005 avalanche with the 5.3l I got it at the dealer parts dept I think it was around $80 for the whole thing including pre bent steel lines and fittings. Hardest part was snaking the tubing from the front to the transmission.

The yukon came with the oem trans cooler, but I added an aftermarket one. I got one with a fan and put an adjustable thermostat on the power feed. The oem cooler was mouned in the center, i added a couple aluminum braces top and bottom for mounting and moved the oem cooler to the passenger side and mounted the aftermarket one on the drivers side. I cut the oem lines and clamped hose to them, but you can use braided line and proper fittings if you want. I plumbed it so the fluid goes thru the radiator first, then the oem cooler, and the aftermarket cooler last. I think it is a Derale, but might be a hayden unit.
Our camper is 7600lb dry(according to the mfg). Fully loaded with gear kids and pets bikes etc we are probably over 9500lbs
The trans temp goes from 160 to 190 depending on outside temp and hills. Occasionally goes up to around 215 on long grades like fancy gap virginia (7 miles of 7% iirc)
I dont know what trans you have in your 07, but searching online I found that with the 4l60 it is not recommended to tow in overdrive, especially if the torque converter is unlocked. It builds too much heat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at an aftermarket one and have heard I could just splice into the lines going into the radiator. I just didn't know if that was true or not. OEM is small and for the price I'm sure I could get a bigger one.....just don't know how exactly to install it since I don't have an OEM one to begin with

kebm

Reaction score
I was looking at an aftermarket one and have heard I could just splice into the lines going into the radiator. I just didn't know if that was true or not. OEM is small and for the price I'm sure I could get a bigger one.....just don't know how exactly to install it since I don't have an OEM one to begin with

Do a google images search for "sierra trans cooler" and you will see how people have mounted them to the hood latch "a-frame" in front of the condenser.
For the lines I cut the return line with a tubing cutter and double clamped trans cooler hose to them to feed/return the new cooler.

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw where they were mounting them. Could you take a picture of where you cut into the linescrew and which goes to which by chance

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would I run the lines if I don't have a oem one. Would I take the top radiator one, cut it and run it to one side of the transmission cooler.....then take the other side and run it up to the radiator and get one of the adapters that screws into the radiator?
Also I am guessing like power steering hose would be able to handle the task??

I also live in Kansas, so it gets pretty cold during the winter so I would need one with the bypass valve....correct?

wesyder

Reaction score
Sorry, forgot about you, it looks like you can purchase the oem trans lines and add the aux trans cooler, either the oem or the aftermarket, you could also cut the hose and run lines but I prefer the oem trans lines, if you need a oem cooler I will send you one from an 07 escalade I upgraded over the weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts