TPMS Sensor Lifespan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Swapping my 20" wheels/tires for 18's. The plan is to break down the 20's to harvest the TPMS sensors and install them on the 18's. My question is how long do the batteries last? The truck is a 2016 so we're already 5 years in age.
Tried to be pro-active by buying new ones at the GM dealer, but the selection of PN's is endless.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapping my 20" wheels/tires for 18's. The plan is to break down the 20's to harvest the TPMS sensors and install them on the 18's. My question is how long do the batteries last? The truck is a 2016 so we're already 5 years in age.
Tried to be pro-active by buying new ones at the GM dealer, but the selection of PN's is endless.
To answer your last statement, your RPO sheet will tell you the frequency used so you can make the proper selection. Alternatively, post up the last 8 of your VIN and @915_Tahoe (Rene) can look up the part number for you, he's our resident GM parts man.

They are supposed to last 10 years. The ones in our Kia lasted about twelve. My truck is on its fourth set. The first set were replaced within the first year for reasons unknown. The second set lasted 7 years 2 months, the third pair lasted 6 years 9 months and the ones on now are 5 years 10 months old.