Magnaride Compressor Wont Run After Air Leaks Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave,

Good info. In my case I CAN get the compressor to run using my scan tool. I have run it up to about 100 PSI. Remember, every day the vehicle starts with 0 pressure in the system, and then only runs up to 15-20 PSI as a result of the vehicle starting (compressor test cycle).

To me, the system acts like it thinks it at the correct level even with 0 psi...otherwise it should re-start the compressor at some point when the initial ~20 PSI leaks outs. This further confirms that I need to load up the vehicle with something other than one or two people and see if I can get the compressor to kick on.

To answer your question, yes my ride height sensors are shown in one of the images above. On level ground after the key-on compressor test they are as follows:
Right Front: 2.47V
Left Front: 2.49V
Right Rear: 1.57V
Left Rear: 2.54V

I can get the compressor to come on by manually manipulating the right rear ride height sensor (disconnecting the link and moving it and holding it for a ~10 seconds). I haven't tried this with the LH rear one.
Happy to help. Got it. Yeah, my vote goes to that right rear sensor being off - either electronically or physically.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you should replace the shocks as the first thing..

worry about the compressor 2nd. because even if you get it running you're just going to burn it up from the leak.

I have a feeling your pump issue will fix itself after you get shocks that hold air overnight. I base that on nothing thou lol

OP
OP
Boydzz

Boydzz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just an update. New GM AC Delco 580-1091 Shocks from Rock Auto delivered. New Dorman Compressor from Amazon delivered. I will be some time before I get these installed, but I will keep this updated.

OP
OP
Boydzz

Boydzz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm debating replacing the left rear ride height sensor. Given the bit of info I have been able to pull from the internet (all captured in my first post), it seems a normal ride height sensor reading is about 1.6V. Given my left rear is reading high I'm wondering if it's creating any issues. Here's a couple data points I pulled re-watching my video.Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 7.59.38 PM.png

Anyone think that the LH rear sensor could be an issue here? Data seems consistent, just the left hand sensor is skewed higher.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You may be on to something. It’s new territory for me though. Glad you found the z95 rears @ R/A. Just got the front for our 09 Esky from R/A too.

You’ll need to know the factory went to a new strut # 19420992, from the old z95 MagRide strut #19353951 or you’ll never find em.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm debating replacing the left rear ride height sensor. Given the bit of info I have been able to pull from the internet (all captured in my first post), it seems a normal ride height sensor reading is about 1.6V. Given my left rear is reading high I'm wondering if it's creating any issues. Here's a couple data points I pulled re-watching my video.View attachment 421842

Anyone think that the LH rear sensor could be an issue here? Data seems consistent, just the left hand sensor is skewed higher.
my own synopsis from experiencing pretty much the same thing is that the system simply will not re-inflate on it's own when it has leaked down and without a key cycle.
yet if it is working normally it will self-inflate/deflate when adding/removing a load on the rear.
I had a slow leak in a shcok and after around 10 minutes it would leak down and the rear end would get squirrely which was how I discovered I had a leak, still held a small amount of air but not fully inflated.
It could very be made that way on purpose so the pump is not kicking on everytime you hit a corner/swerve and instead relies on stabiltrac
also had a slow leak in the relief valve of a pump before, same result
and had another pump with a funky air pressure sensor that thing would maybe inflate to 14 psi or 120 and anything in between

even after messing with it a lot I haven't really looked into what triggers the pump when adding a load (when everything is working normal), is it air pressure? or ride height data?
if it is air pressure feedback then that might explain why it will not self-reinflate after a leak.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as complex as the code in these moduals are today. wouldn't supise me if it looks at everything from air pressure change like you said, if the air pressure is dropping and the hight sensor goes down, it probably knows it doesn't need to run the pump to death trying to overcome a leak. thing probably logs if the hatch was opened and if the fuel gauge increased. so much data is available on the bus these days, it's up to the programer how complicated he wants to get.

for the ride sensor that doesn't agree. can you adjust the rod till it matches the other one?

OP
OP
Boydzz

Boydzz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went ahead and sourced a left rear ride height sensor from a bone yard in South Carolina off eBay today. It was about $50 shipped, which is about 40% of what a brand new one goes for. I couldn't find much online about these sensors having a history of failing, so I'm hoping it's operational. This will be last resort, but I haven't seen many on ebay, and this set popped up on Friday. I sent the seller a message offering a slightly reduced price for both, but it went unanswered. The RH rear sold, so I went ahead and bought the left hand.

I'm not sure when I will get to working on this. I need it in working order by June. I will come back and update here when I have news.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the tech 2 out last night and remembered to check the suspension voltage on mine.. this is a 2011gmc

PXL_20240222_013415282.jpg

compressor kicks on and off as normal. in fact the last day I notched it coming in a few times while driving not just the start test. probably has a leak.

I have new oem shocks just not installed yet. I need to get on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660