TPMS relearn tool?? What?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Felicia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi! I just got my tires rotated by the closest tire shop on my 2017 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Midnight Edition. I am used to being able to reset the tire positions by pressing the tire stem after setting the parking brake and choosing the tire pressure option on the DIC. (I had a 2011 suburban before and this is how I always had my car "relearn" the tire positions. ) I am looking at page 379 in my owners manual and it sounds like I have to buy a $60 part to have my care "relearn" the tire positions now or am I missing something? HELP!!

Thanks!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The newer models have to have a relearn tool- can't go through the DIC. Either buy the tool or take it to a shop that has a tool so they can relearn the positions as part of the service when the rotate the tires. Most any well-established shop should have one. Also, you may have to remind them to relearn the positions when they're done. When I bring my work van to the dealer for it's 5,000-mile services, I ask them to relearn the positions and EVERY time I have to ask them again when they bring the van out front and try to hand me the keys. The dealer from where you bought your Tahoe may do it this time as a courtesy if you catch them during a time they're not so busy (don't go on a Saturday!).

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure that the one you get is for GM vehicles...

OP
OP
Felicia

Felicia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank ya'll!! I knew I would get answers here :) I ordered the device...I live in a VERY rural area. The closest tire shop is very agriculture based and has never reset my tires for me, so I thought it would be worth the small investment to have my own. The sad part is that I already have enough miles to need a tire rotation and I've only had my tahoe for 3 months. :(

Rojo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to all this.

Can someone please explain what tire relearning is all about?

Thank you

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quickly, there is a sensor in each wheel that transmits pressure to dash, its married to tgat spot on truck, when you rotate, pressures are not for correct tire havevto relearn positions

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to all this.

Can someone please explain what tire relearning is all about?

Thank you

Each tire has a pressure monitor in the valve. They are programed so the truck knows which tire is which. When you rotate them, you need to tell the vehicle the new positions. The newer trucks require a tool to perform this procedure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879