TPMS Relearn Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently discovered my sensors were not mapped to the correct positions, so I bought one of the el cheapo Amazon relearn tools. I've spent a couple hours with it trying to get it to work. Out of many attempts, I've gotten it to to trigger a single sensor twice. I got frustrated after trying the starting wheel (DS, front) I moved on to the second wheel (PS, front) - then it amazingly triggered that one, but it was out of order and I couldn't get the third one to go anyway. On another attempt, I actually got it to trigger the starting wheel, but then it wouldn't do any of the subsequent ones. You only have a few minutes before it times out on you and you have to start over.

I've also tried the no-tool method twice. Attempt 1, I overinflated the tires and then let air out during the relearn process to try to trigger them. A later attempt I just let air out, more than 10 psi, to see if I could trigger them - no good on either. Some googling leads me to believe that somewhere around 2011 or 2012 GM disabled the use of that trick. (It does work on our 2012 cruze, however)

Since I did get a sensor to trigger during the relearn, but not the subsequent ones, now I'm getting a service TPMS message and a tire light on the dash.

Not sure what to do next. Go to a tire store and see if they will do it for cheap or free? Do I need new sensors? I recently got a Tech 2, but it's just telling me there's a problem with the relearn process. Would rather not purchase a more expensive relearn tool. PO put new tires on it shortly before selling so really hoping to not need new sensors.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently discovered my sensors were not mapped to the correct positions, so I bought one of the el cheapo Amazon relearn tools. I've spent a couple hours with it trying to get it to work. Out of many attempts, I've gotten it to to trigger a single sensor twice. I got frustrated after trying the starting wheel (DS, front) I moved on to the second wheel (PS, front) - then it amazingly triggered that one, but it was out of order and I couldn't get the third one to go anyway. On another attempt, I actually got it to trigger the starting wheel, but then it wouldn't do any of the subsequent ones. You only have a few minutes before it times out on you and you have to start over.

I've also tried the no-tool method twice. Attempt 1, I overinflated the tires and then let air out during the relearn process to try to trigger them. A later attempt I just let air out, more than 10 psi, to see if I could trigger them - no good on either. Some googling leads me to believe that somewhere around 2011 or 2012 GM disabled the use of that trick. (It does work on our 2012 cruze, however)

Since I did get a sensor to trigger during the relearn, but not the subsequent ones, now I'm getting a service TPMS message and a tire light on the dash.

Not sure what to do next. Go to a tire store and see if they will do it for cheap or free? Do I need new sensors? I recently got a Tech 2, but it's just telling me there's a problem with the relearn process. Would rather not purchase a more expensive relearn tool. PO put new tires on it shortly before selling so really hoping to not need new sensors.
if a shop can't get them to relearn properly then it's likely time for new sensors 10 years is the typical life span.
a sensor not learing or showing incorrect psi is a sign it's got a low battery

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the one I use. I got it on Amazon for $13. I have learned through experience that after you’re done remove the 9 volt battery before you store it. Also, weak batteries cause all sorts of weird problems, so make sure the 9 volt has a good charge before using. Mine hasn’t failed me in the years that I’ve had it and the numerous times I’ve used it. A few after the tire store said, “There’s something wrong with your system.” Hope this helps. Aloha and Mele Kalikimaka & Hauoli Makahiki Hou! ☃️IMG_1452.jpeg

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What relearn tool are you using?

Also, your 2009 manual shows this procedure:

View attachment 414921
View attachment 414922

Thanks, I've been forgetting to update my profile - I have a 2013 LT now instead of 2009 LS that my sig mentions. (2009 is no more after a roll over accident) Profile and sig now updated.

But this is the tool I tried using: https://www.amazon.com/VXDAS-Pressu...8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

if a shop can't get them to relearn properly then it's likely time for new sensors 10 years is the typical life span.
a sensor not learing or showing incorrect psi is a sign it's got a low battery

Took it to Les Schwab (big west coast tire chain, where I think the PO bought the tires). They were able to relearn the sensors no problem, and no charge. :) Hopefully they were replaced somewhere along the line, or maybe I'll be able to get a few more years out of them.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I've been forgetting to update my profile - I have a 2013 LT now instead of 2009 LS that my sig mentions. (2009 is no more after a roll over accident) Profile and sig now updated.

But this is the tool I tried using: https://www.amazon.com/VXDAS-Pressure-Monitor-Relearn-GL50448/dp/B07Z96WWM9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=29VN4HIYCB1T0&keywords=gm+tpms+relearn+tool&qid=1700856572&sprefix=gm+t,aps,142&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Took it to Les Schwab (big west coast tire chain, where I think the PO bought the tires). They were able to relearn the sensors no problem, and no charge. :) Hopefully they were replaced somewhere along the line, or maybe I'll be able to get a few more years out of them.
that's good, as far as the little tool you picked up I use the same one and it works fine as long as the 9v battery used is fresh

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's good, as far as the little tool you picked up I use the same one and it works fine as long as the 9v battery used is fresh
I tried two different batteries and used a battery tester beforehand to make sure they were strong. Not sure what’s wrong with mine - your good experience is representative of reviews on Amazon. 4.5 stars. Oh well, I’m good for a while until it’s time to rotate. Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried two different batteries and used a battery tester beforehand to make sure they were strong. Not sure what’s wrong with mine - your good experience is representative of reviews on Amazon. 4.5 stars. Oh well, I’m good for a while until it’s time to rotate. Thanks
maybe you got a funky one, they are assembled by kids in china ya know, lol
send it back and get another one

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought that tool from amazon a couple of years ago... I could never get it to work on
any of my gm vehicles.. Maybe I got a bad one... But what a PITA
I tried new batteries etc (in the tool) and NO success ...
I have moved on to my autel scanner with the tpms functions built in.. It works !!!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought that tool from amazon a couple of years ago... I could never get it to work on
any of my gm vehicles.. Maybe I got a bad one... But what a PITA
I tried new batteries etc (in the tool) and NO success ...
I have moved on to my autel scanner with the tpms functions built in.. It works !!!

Same. Love my Autel with the TPMS functions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan