Towing wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice so what do u have modified cuz I was wanting to get a tuner exhaust and intake just to start
My list of towing-related mods:

1/ Cam Motion Stage 2 Truck Cam - significant upgrade that allows me to take the same hills as previously at 1 higher gear when towing. Also included AFM/DoD delete.
2/ Upgraded billet torque converter (CVC BU60FHD) with stronger lockup clutch.
3/ Cold Case 2-row all-aluminum radiator
4/ Derale 13960 fan-forced transmission cooler mounted below the front bumper.

The stock intake flows really well. Lots of guys put aftermarket ones on and get little or no gains, but they look cool.

On a Denali, the factory exhaust is excellent. About the only upgrade worth doing, in my opinion is long tube headers, but then you're dealing with a bunch of exhaust work and that's not something I enjoy. On a Tahoe with the 5.3, I think exhaust upgrades are much more beneficial.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upgrades to tow (heavy) don't even have to include more power....
The main thing was reliability and safety.
Transmission Upgrades would include at minimum: HD Torque Converter, Trans Cooler
Cooling System: Better/Upgraded Radiator, Upgraded Fans (if needed), Newish GM Water Pump,
Belts and Hoses, T-Stat, Heater Hose Tee's
At Minimum I'd do a Canned Tune of some sort - maybe a blackbear to help out with
transmission behavior. And disable DOD.
Suspension: At least stock in perfect order sway bars/bushings/links. HD sway bars Help A lot
Brakes: At least bolt on PowerStop HD Towing Pads and Rotors all the way around
Rear Susp: I installed new GM Z55 load leveling air shocks and added in helper airbags

And don't cheap out on Weight Distribution Tow Hitch and Sway System
I used the bar & chain system for years with the the sway bar that you can adjust tension.
It worked fine... But when I upgraded to my Equal-I-Zer System - 4 point it
was a new beautiful world.. It's very expensive but once set up "RIGHT" it's awesome

I'm prob forgetting some small details, but you get the jist.
SAFETY & RELIABILITY
If you break down towing your trailer/camper it's going to ruin your vacation and
cost a shitload of money to get you home

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn I didn’t know they could tow that much weight.
Yeah, they really can't unless modified... From what I understand the non XL or tahoe
would be a little more difficult.
I towed this camper for years with my 1994 stepside C1500 1/2 ton...
Tons of mods and lots of power.. But it was still squirilly as I had a 5300lb truck towing
a 9500 lb camper... My tonque weight is about 850-900 so a premium WD hitch is a must

OP
OP
steveoe

steveoe

Reaction score
Yeah I was wanting more reliable. I never thought about a torque converter. I do have a trans cooler I added. It doesn’t have a fan but I noticed my fluid stays around 185. So I am happy about that. I do have cross drilled and slotted rotors in the front I just don’t know what kind they are. And I have changed all fluids with amsoil. I never used a tuner before and didn’t know if had any benifits while towing. I see some guys swear by the z55 suspension too. I would like to get rid of that dod too.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was wanting more reliable. I never thought about a torque converter. I do have a trans cooler I added. It doesn’t have a fan but I noticed my fluid stays around 185. So I am happy about that. I do have cross drilled and slotted rotors in the front I just don’t know what kind they are. And I have changed all fluids with amsoil. I never used a tuner before and didn’t know if had any benifits while towing. I see some guys swear by the z55 suspension too. I would like to get rid of that dod too.
I forgot to mention that I added a 700w radiator fan motor and blade on the driver's side in place of the original 500w unit.

The torque converter is the weak link on the 6L80 transmission. The lockup clutch fails and sends debris through the transmission, taking it out.

One more upgrade to consider is a 14-bolt rear axle from the 2WD Escalade or 2WD Denali. Your axle, like mine, is a 10-bolt and it's the other weak link in the system. On the AWD Denali's it's less of an issue because the torque is split between the front and rear axles all of the time. The 14-bolt is literally a drop-in replacement. You don't even have to change the u-joints, but it's built hell-for-stout for towing.

OP
OP
steveoe

steveoe

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I have the 4l60 in mine. I haven’t looked to be sure. So u don’t have to take the whole axle out? Just the internals outta the axle? I will try to find one. Is there a weak link in the 4l60?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas_Made