Towing with NNBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saxart

Reaction score
Today was my first chance at towing a real decent load with my 2011 LT Suburban. I had a #2000 trailer with about #2000 of equipment on it.

The power from the 5.3 engine is great, and since I'm on relatively flat ground, the 6-speed transmission worked out fine in the tow/haul mode.

The issue I'm having is that any amount of tongue weight from the trailer really put a SQUAT to the rear springs. I've towed this same load with my previous 2000 3/4 ton Suburban with little or no squatting issues.

I love this truck for it's great gas mileage and smooth ride, but I'm not too impressed with it's "squishy" rear suspension while towing. (I kind of expected this when I got rid of the 2500 and went to a 1500.)

I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with the many different brands of air "helper" suspension systems (airbags or airsprings) that are on the market. I don't want to lose the nice ride quality when unloaded, but I need to fix the squat when loaded.

Thanks!

Fitz08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya might want to check into a weight distributing hitch. They work very well, alot of people with 1500 trucks that pull travel trailers use them. I have one and towed all the time with it, really helps with the butt sag and its not permanently installed on your truck

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to be towing alot then you may want to check out the Air Lift 1000 airbag set-up or if you want to go all out Helwig makes a coil to air conversion that removes your coilspring and replaces it with an airbag with auto adjust compressor system so no matter what load it will maintain the set ride height. If you end up considering the Helwig kit I have one BNIB never installed that I will let go for a huge discount over retail.

Ryan1126

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i towed a ~6000lb trailer all last desert season with my 2010 5.3 tahoe. i towed a few times and it made the front lift up quite a bit. i then added a weight distribution hitch and it made all the difference in the world. look into it, and its much cheaper than an air bag set up in the back. and if you get real fancy you can add the sway bar to help a bit also.

hbr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with the many different brands of air "helper" suspension systems (airbags or airsprings) that are on the market. I don't want to lose the nice ride quality when unloaded, but I need to fix the squat when loaded.

Thanks!

I think that's what you want. I have helper bags......Air Lift 1000s. No change to stock ride with minimum air and definitely serve the purpose when inflated for towing.

Got mine from Summit Racing for $80 and is a DIY

Kraftworthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you are going to be towing alot then you may want to check out the Air Lift 1000 airbag set-up or if you want to go all out Helwig makes a coil to air conversion that removes your coilspring and replaces it with an airbag with auto adjust compressor system so no matter what load it will maintain the set ride height. If you end up considering the Helwig kit I have one BNIB never installed that I will let go for a huge discount over retail.
This is obviously an old post, but do you still have that hellwig kit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts