Towing Travel Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to be towing a 30ft travel trail in the next few weeks with my 2018 Tahoe 5.3. I have the max tow package (NHT) so I know the vehicle can handle it. I’m going through the mountains. Should I use tow/haul mode the whole time? Any info from experienced people who tow would be greatly appreciated.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to be towing a 30ft travel trail in the next few weeks with my 2018 Tahoe 5.3. I have the max tow package (NHT) so I know the vehicle can handle it. I’m going through the mountains. Should I use tow/haul mode the whole time? Any info from experienced people who tow would be greatly appreciated.
A 30ft trailer behind a Tahoe would be a little too nerve racking for me with the short wheelbase. How much weight are you talking about? Do you have a weight distributing hitch with sway bars? I think using Tow/Haul is a no brainer.

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow/haul is a no-brainer.

What's the trailer weigh? I assume you have empty weights there. What's the max payload?

WD hitch? Which one?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Michaelt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can't recommend load equalizers more. I towed a 29' with my 5.3 Yukon. It handled pretty well, but only with equalizers on. It was a light 29' at 5k lbs. Never pulled out of Fla so I don't know how the hills might impact your pulling. Good brakes and elec trailer brakes are important towing factors. Be safe.

I believe my Yukon actually goes back into high gear, if not under load, while in tow mode. Not a tech, so I could be wrong. But I watched the tach and it went down to the same level as without tow mode when not under load.

OP
OP
Bob2C

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dry weight 5479

Gross weight 7764

I will be using anti-sway bars as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically, you're probably in spec. I would check what your actual loaded weights are at a CAT scale. Dry weight is very deceiving. Depending on the manufacturer and dealer added features, that weight could be off by 1000 lbs or more (yes, I have some experience here).

A SWB vehicle is not an ideal tow rig. You'd be better off with a Suburban or Yukon XL. I would see what brand of WD hitch you have there is. If it's one of the older chain snap-up units w/an adjustable friction bar I'd ditch it in a heartbeat. What you need is a Trunnion-style hitch like the Equal-i-zer or Fastway E2. Another good option is the Andersen hitch.

You'll need a brake controller. I really liked the Tekonsha P3. It's a digital proportional unit and is one of the best ones out there.

I have a 2010 Esky ESV and don't tow with it any longer. You've got a newer generation truck there and a slightly lower (probably) tow weight. I never had issues with sway but I also had the longer wheelbase and the Fastway E2 flat bar trunnion hitch. The truck would pull the camper just fine. What made me stop towing with it was the constant fixing of suspension, transmission, engine mounts, and the constant fear of running too hot and blowing something up. These trucks are not an ideal tow vehicle. If you're going to be towing regularly and at long distances I'd look at a 3/4 ton truck.

OP
OP
Bob2C

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically, you're probably in spec. I would check what your actual loaded weights are at a CAT scale. Dry weight is very deceiving. Depending on the manufacturer and dealer added features, that weight could be off by 1000 lbs or more (yes, I have some experience here).

A SWB vehicle is not an ideal tow rig. You'd be better off with a Suburban or Yukon XL. I would see what brand of WD hitch you have there is. If it's one of the older chain snap-up units w/an adjustable friction bar I'd ditch it in a heartbeat. What you need is a Trunnion-style hitch like the Equal-i-zer or Fastway E2. Another good option is the Andersen hitch.

You'll need a brake controller. I really liked the Tekonsha P3. It's a digital proportional unit and is one of the best ones out there.

I have a 2010 Esky ESV and don't tow with it any longer. You've got a newer generation truck there and a slightly lower (probably) tow weight. I never had issues with sway but I also had the longer wheelbase and the Fastway E2 flat bar trunnion hitch. The truck would pull the camper just fine. What made me stop towing with it was the constant fixing of suspension, transmission, engine mounts, and the constant fear of running too hot and blowing something up. These trucks are not an ideal tow vehicle. If you're going to be towing regularly and at long distances I'd look at a 3/4 ton truck.

The hitch I will be using will be a fast way E2 hitch. My truck has load leveling rear suspension and factory brake controller. Yeah ideally the burb would be better but I wouldn’t be towing on a regular basis. Maybe once a year if that. According to the manual the max towing weight for this vehicle is around 8500lbs. When towing am I correct to assume transmission temps will be above 200?

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your temps will probably get over 200 but be careful to not get it too hot as that can damage it . you will be at capacity for the truck and probably be a white knuckle in the mountains and it probably wont be awful happy, trans cooler and brake controller, along with that hitch are almost necessity but above all, pay attention and and be safe

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck. Both my new and my old trans would normally be around 200 even without a load on it. When pulling it was normally in the 220-230 range until I added the Tru-Cool 40k in place of the OEM cooler. Now the highest I've seen (even when I was still pulling with it) is about 175.

I did the upgrade myself for under $200.

I'd say it's a must as well.

OP
OP
Bob2C

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So am I reading this correctly? 1k tongue weight, 10k max trailer weight

0a9e126f221bed957c2015f0613bd89b.jpg

Forum statistics