Tow question for a 2011 Tahoe LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fed4life

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe LTZ with the towing package. I just bought a 26' Cobra Razor with a triple axle Extreme trailer that im picking up in about 6 hours. The weight of the boat and trailer is going to be about 5800lbs.

My tongue and ball is adjustable and rated up to 10,000lbs so im not worried there. On my Tahoe the tow rating is 8,200lbs so i know im within limits there as well. My question is: On the hitch that came with the Tahoe it states that maximum towing capacity is 5,000lbs and 10,000lbs with a weight distributing hitch. The boat trailer is NOT a weight distributing kind.

Im wondering if i will be ok with the hitch thats on the Tahoe since i will be about 800lbs over what it states even though the Tahoe is rated up to 8,200lbs.

Opinions, comments, ideas????????

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of variables but you'll be fine. I'm not sure why the hitch states 5,000lbs, maybe that's the generic limit of a Class III hitch. With the LTZ you have Autoride leveling in the back so that will help. Just make sure you have the tow package though. That's a lot of weight for a new barely broken in vehicle. Just be smart. No hard acceleration or high speeds.

You'll want to invest in a weight dist. hitch though.

Just hit the lottery? New LTZ and new boat?? haha

OP
OP
F

fed4life

Reaction score
I picked it up and towed it home yesterday, about 120 miles with no problems at all. The Tahoe DOES have the heavy duty tow package on it and it towed it no problem, plenty of power and braking was ok. Not as good as my F-250 i used to have but it will do the job. The Tahoe has 6,000 miles on it now so its not "brand new" but im still cautious with accelerating and stopping.

As far as winning the lottery...i wish brother! This was all about saving, saving, saving and waiting for the right time to pull the trigger! Tons of deals to be had in this economy if you tell the person your gonna buy it from, "its a cash deal!"

fireboat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep you will be fine. Here in Miami you can sit at the boat ramp all day and watch a 100 boats launch and no one will have a WD hitch. There are a few made for boat trailers but they are very rare.

OP
OP
F

fed4life

Reaction score
Ya im not gonna go have a WD hitch put on it, it will do the job just fine.

Fireboat: what dept. you work for brother? You said "here in Miami" so im guessing thats where and im guessing cuz of your screen name thats your assignment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mazer16