Tow Hitch Cover Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

As most are painfully aware I'm trying to do some upgrades to my Hybrid Hoe ... in this vain I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a bumper accessory add on to cover the tow hitch gap?

The standard 09 and on Tahoe has a different gap in the pumper for this which is much larger than that of the Hybrid ... hence the standard primed cover accessory from GM is waaaay to big.

When I inquired at the parts dept. at the dealer they said such an accessory didn't exist ... in fact we looked at the hole carefully and there doesn't seem to even be a way for such a cover to be attached to the way my bumper is configured.

Stock image: http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/chevrolet_tahoe_hybrid_1hy_4wd_2009_exterior_doors.jpg

Aaanyhoot, before I go out and spend bucks on switching bumpers to a regular Tahoe one just so I don't have to see this ugly gap, I thought I would run it by you kind peeps just in case someone knew of an existing accessory or a workaround.

Cheers and thanks! :)

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

As most are painfully aware I'm trying to do some upgrades to my Hybrid Hoe ... in this vain I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a bumper accessory add on to cover the tow hitch gap?

The standard 09 and on Tahoe has a different gap in the pumper for this which is much larger than that of the Hybrid ... hence the standard primed cover accessory from GM is waaaay to big.

When I inquired at the parts dept. at the dealer they said such an accessory didn't exist ... in fact we looked at the hole carefully and there doesn't seem to even be a way for such a cover to be attached to the way my bumper is configured.

Stock image: http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/chevrolet_tahoe_hybrid_1hy_4wd_2009_exterior_doors.jpg

Aaanyhoot, before I go out and spend bucks on switching bumpers to a regular Tahoe one just so I don't have to see this ugly gap, I thought I would run it by you kind peeps just in case someone knew of an existing accessory or a workaround.

Cheers and thanks! :)

Hmm you're right I have never seen any hybrid bumper covers. I'm trying to buy the escalade bumper so If you are interested in a mint condition tahoe bumper from an 08 LTZ with a trailer hitch cover included, then PM me :Handshake:

GL on your search for a tahoe hybrid hitch cover!

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh ... these peeps here have a picture of a HyHoe with a hitch cover but I called them and they not only not sell that accessory, but they have no clue where that pic came from even though it's on their website:

30.jpg

:emotions122:

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm bumping this cause this issue has truly become the bane of my existence. :(

Also, if in fact such a part is nowhere to be found, does anyone know if there's places which can mold me one just for my truck? Or is such a thing unheard of and ridiculously expensive for such a minor part? :think:

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm bumping this cause this issue has truly become the bane of my existence. :(

Also, if in fact such a part is nowhere to be found, does anyone know if there's places which can mold me one just for my truck? Or is such a thing unheard of and ridiculously expensive for such a minor part? :think:

Why not the Escalade bumper? They have the best hitch cover IMO.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Jim,

If you look at the page you linked all the closeouts are for non-hybrid models ... what they call "Rear Fascia Access Hole Cover" is not the same thing, it's a little round metal piece. I know this cause when I bought my truck I ordered one thinking it's a closeout and had to return it. :)

I'm afraid the only way for me to do this is to change the bumper cover.

JimZ

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

If you look at the page you linked all the closeouts are for non-hybrid models ... what they call "Rear Fascia Access Hole Cover" is not the same thing, it's a little round metal piece. I know this cause when I bought my truck I ordered one thinking it's a closeout and had to return it. :)

I'm afraid the only way for me to do this is to change the bumper cover.

'Finish off the back of your Yukon with a custom-molded Trailer Hitch Closeout that hides the receiver opening when the ball mount assembly is removed. For Hybrid models that have added a Spare Wheel Kit, the Rear Fascia Access Hole Cover is available. Both are available in select body colors'

Sorry, I read this to mean they ALSO have the access hole cover for the hybrids. Have you tried to call them?

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have called GM directly and they do not make it.

Hybrids come stock without a spare wheel tire kit to improve fuel efficiency ($1500-$2000 to buy and have installed), they come standard with an emergency tire repair kit. On hybrids the resonator is placed where the spare tire is on regular hoes/yuks/eskys hence why it's an expensive ordeal to have the spare tire kit installed as the resonator has to be relocated. Point being that if no aftermarket hitch closeout exists for hybrids the only cost effective solution is to swap oem bumper covers for one that accepts the oem closeout.

Does that make sense?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia