Too Light Steering

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by rv8pilot, May 21, 2016.

1. rv8pilot

rv8pilot Member

Name:
    Andy
    I have recently aquired a 2001 yukon xl and have been bringing it back to good health. It runs well and is now fairly solid in the front end but I find the steering to be much too light at highway speeds for my taste. The steering effort around town is about right but above 50 or so it seems to get lighter instead of heavier. This results in small deviations in direction that are completely unfelt in the wheel. I realize that these things are a bit of a sailboat in a crosswind but this is occurring all the time. I have read about changing the orifice in the PS pump but don't have any clear info. Can anybody offer a cure?

2. ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret) Full Access Member

Name:
    chris
    shocks shocks shocks
    that would be the first thing to consider when i first got my tahoe it was due for new shocks and the steering was very squirrely on the freeway
    its pretty easy to check the shocks just go push down on the front end hard and if it rebounds more then once then its schocks

08HoeCD likes this.
  3. rv8pilot

rv8pilot Member

Name:
    Andy
    A good thought, and thanks, but the shocks are new as are the ball joints, sway bar links, intermediate lower and upper steering shafts. Nothing seems sloppy or even a bit iffy in the suspension or steering. Something odd though, I recently changed over to a hydro brake booster and the steering seems a little tighter on the highway. Maybe a bit lees pressure available fro the steering box?

4. clandr1

clandr1 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
  5. rv8pilot

rv8pilot Member

Name:
    Andy
    Chris, thanks for the links on the position sensor, I will check it out. Do you know if the 2001 Yukons had this? This thing has a lot of complex bells and whistles so it would not surprise me. Based on the info in the links it makes a lot of sense.

6. clandr1

clandr1 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    It appears so. I looked up a 2001 GMC Yukon XL SLT model on O'Reilly's website and it came up with a part:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...498&keyword=steering+wheel&pt=04556&ppt=C0033

7. rv8pilot

rv8pilot Member

Name:
    Andy
    Thank you sir, now I know what to look for.

8. sumo

sumo dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı

Name:
    ian
    You want light steering? My dads 93 caddy fleet wood can be driven with just a pinkey. You can give the wheel a quick spin and it will rotate 1.5 times lol

1995Tahoe likes this.
  9. Skip3389

Skip3389 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Terry
    Does your car have autoride?Check the autoride control (30amp) fuse that also controls the speed sensitive steering. Some people remove the fuse to turn off service ride control light.

10. Joshuasvt

Joshuasvt Member

Name:
    Joshua
    If the steering feels loose then try this.
    Take off the plastic cover that's behind the steering wheel. It's where your emergency flasher switch is. Then turn the wheel to the 3 and the 9 o'clock position. You'll see two torx bolts respectively. They may have yellow markings on them. Even though they are locked in from the factory they tend to back out. Tighten both down and see how that feels.

Screenshot_2016-06-04-17-58-51-1.jpg