Steering Position Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dicksenn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've researched the steering position sensor but everything I find is for OBS model Tahoes? Is this an easy replacement on a NBS 2006 Tahoe?

The steering in the Tahoe is extremely light, can turn corners with you pinkie, and it's always been that way. It's a night and day difference compared to my 2006 Silverado which is tight and firm.

I'd like to correct the Tahoe's steering but I'm at a loss and thought when I found all the threads for the steering position sensor I had my answer, but there is no write up on NBS tahoes.

bermudablueZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The steering position sensor is a relative easy swap out. Basically you just have to disconnect the upper section of the intermediate steering shaft and slide it off the steering column. Obviously you have to make sure you do not turn your steering wheel at this point to avoid potential SIR coil damage. After the i-shaft there is a plastic cover at the sensor that keeps it from coming off, remove the little cover, then unplug the sensor and slide it down off the column. Throw the new one in and your done.

That being said, I doubt your issue is caused by this sensor, this sensor monitors wheel rotation, it does not control weight or steering effort. Steering effort should be controlled by preload in your steering box, I would look into possibly getting your steering box set up properly, or maybe replacing it. Maybe someone else can chime in who has had the same problem.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, did the Tahoe have the RTD shock system on it? has it been removed? were resistors put in place? If you delete the RTD shock system and you don't use resistors and keep the fuse in place the speed sensitive steering doesn't work. You will have very light steering all the time, and at freeway speeds it's not very fun.

OP
OP
D

dicksenn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The steering position sensor is a relative easy swap out. Basically you just have to disconnect the upper section of the intermediate steering shaft and slide it off the steering column. Obviously you have to make sure you do not turn your steering wheel at this point to avoid potential SIR coil damage. After the i-shaft there is a plastic cover at the sensor that keeps it from coming off, remove the little cover, then unplug the sensor and slide it down off the column. Throw the new one in and your done.

That being said, I doubt your issue is caused by this sensor, this sensor monitors wheel rotation, it does not control weight or steering effort. Steering effort should be controlled by preload in your steering box, I would look into possibly getting your steering box set up properly, or maybe replacing it. Maybe someone else can chime in who has had the same problem.

Is there a tensioner or place to adjust on the steering box, that seems easy enough.

Just a thought, did the Tahoe have the RTD shock system on it? has it been removed? were resistors put in place? If you delete the RTD shock system and you don't use resistors and keep the fuse in place the speed sensitive steering doesn't work. You will have very light steering all the time, and at freeway speeds it's not very fun.

Is there a way I could tell if it had the RTD shock system? I doubt it does, we bought it with 60K on the odometer and when I changed the shocks like looked like stock and it was doing this with them on there, although it sounds like what you are describing is some type of control module or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3