Steering Shaft Sensor Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard some things about our NBS trucks having a steering shaft sensor. Can someone educate me on this please? I might like to replace mine (assuming I'm understanding it correctly).

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful replies!

tenntahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Chip did you ever find out anything on this? I ask because I was convinced based on some info I found online that I probably needed to replace the sensor in my 2004 Tahoe. It seems to wander on the highway at higher speeds, like you are driving in a stiff wind but there is no significant wind. So I checked with local GM parts dept and they identified the steering position sensor on their diagrams and ordered the part for me. It was $153. I found online diagrams and directions on replacing it. Then the odd part, I got under the dash to look at the sensor and determine how difficult the job was going to be only to find that my Tahoe didn't have a sensor. The steering shaft has the bearing and holder for the sensor but there is no sensor there and I can't locate any electrical connection where one would plug in. The dealer parts guy swears there is supposed to be one on these vehicles. I plan to talk to one of the service techs in the morning to see what they say.

Anyone else had this issue?

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chip did you ever find out anything on this? I ask because I was convinced based on some info I found online that I probably needed to replace the sensor in my 2004 Tahoe. It seems to wander on the highway at higher speeds, like you are driving in a stiff wind but there is no significant wind. So I checked with local GM parts dept and they identified the steering position sensor on their diagrams and ordered the part for me. It was $153. I found online diagrams and directions on replacing it. Then the odd part, I got under the dash to look at the sensor and determine how difficult the job was going to be only to find that my Tahoe didn't have a sensor. The steering shaft has the bearing and holder for the sensor but there is no sensor there and I can't locate any electrical connection where one would plug in. The dealer parts guy swears there is supposed to be one on these vehicles. I plan to talk to one of the service techs in the morning to see what they say.

Anyone else had this issue?

I still don't know, and I also don't know why it's so mythical. lol. I'll take a look under my dash this weekend.

Captain_hi_c

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know for a fact my 04 yukon has a steering position sensor because it is bad.

I have the service stability message on my DIC all the time. I was curious about why because the stability system still works (meaning if I'm on a wet road and try to make it spin it cuts back throttle and shows traction active message on DIC). So at my dealership I watched them hook the tech2 up and my steering position sensor is off by - 52 degrees. (meaning when the steering wheel is straight and the wheels are straight the sensor reads -52 degrees and supposed to read 0).

Guess some models have others don't, maybe depends on if equipped with stabiliTrak or not. Or if equipped with traction assist like my 04 model has the button in the middle of the dash with picture off truck skid marks behind it) on 2wd models or not. never had a 4wd yukon before so not sure.

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know for a fact my 04 yukon has a steering position sensor because it is bad.

I have the service stability message on my DIC all the time. I was curious about why because the stability system still works (meaning if I'm on a wet road and try to make it spin it cuts back throttle and shows traction active message on DIC). So at my dealership I watched them hook the tech2 up and my steering position sensor is off by - 52 degrees. (meaning when the steering wheel is straight and the wheels are straight the sensor reads -52 degrees and supposed to read 0).

Guess some models have others don't, maybe depends on if equipped with stabiliTrak or not. Or if equipped with traction assist like my 04 model has the button in the middle of the dash with picture off truck skid marks behind it) on 2wd models or not. never had a 4wd yukon before so not sure.

My steering wheel does the same thing. I have traction control. I just can't figure out if I have that sensor or not.

tahoe.mkIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaced mine.not expensive and easy to do.ideal kind of repair...and date

bikerglasses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway to tell if this sensor is bad? Anyway to test it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14