Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me I think so.
I would not have any issues with getting a used motor from a reputable place that doesn't come with a warranty. If you think about it, that is exactly what you would be getting if you were to buy a used vehicle, particularly from a private seller and people do that all day long. Yeah, they can drive it, listen to it and maybe have a mechanic take a look at it, but at the end of the day, you have no warranty.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I would not have any issues with getting a used motor from a reputable place that doesn't come with a warranty. If you think about it, that is exactly what you would be getting if you were to buy a used vehicle, particularly from a private seller and people do that all day long. Yeah, they can drive it, listen to it and maybe have a mechanic take a look at it, but at the end of the day, you have no warranty.
Very true. Only thing that's a little sketchy is I'm using my old cam. I wish I knew what happened with the old motor tho.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have them confirm that mileage. "99,999" looks like they just hit some numbers to fill in the blank cuz the odometer wasn't available, either because the screen was out or someone pulled the cluster before they recorded it or who knows.

If it were me and I could get a confirmed low-mileage, unmolested factory-sealed motor for ~$1,000, I'd go that route before spending 3x that on a rebuilt from an engine mill. I know there are reputable rebuilders, but I still get the feeling that since they only need to warranty it for X miles or X time, they have looser tolerances than the factory. Generally, one from the factory is designed to provide 200K miles of service, but many eclipse this by far with minimal repairs. I'd have to tour an "engine mill" to see their operations first-hand to change my opinion, which I'm totally open to doing.

I wish you were closer. We'd swap that motor in a weekend. Just bring a few pork rolls.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'd have them confirm that mileage. "99,999" looks like they just hit some numbers to fill in the blank cuz the odometer wasn't available, either because the screen was out or someone pulled the cluster before they recorded it or who knows.

If it were me and I could get a confirmed low-mileage, unmolested factory-sealed motor for ~$1,000, I'd go that route before spending 3x that on a rebuilt from an engine mill. I know there are reputable rebuilders, but I still get the feeling that since they only need to warranty it for X miles or X time, they have looser tolerances than the factory. Generally, one from the factory is designed to provide 200K miles of service, but many eclipse this by far with minimal repairs. I'd have to tour an "engine mill" to see their operations first-hand to change my opinion, which I'm totally open to doing.

I wish you were closer. We'd swap that motor in a weekend. Just bring a few pork rolls.
You know about pork roll?? Lol
I'm with you on the mileage deal. I thought the same thing when I saw the 99,999.
Agreed. Sorry about all this Tony, and the fact it came at the wrong time.
Thx Mark. Does it ever happen at a good time? Just goes along with my luck.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Ok, got a confirmation on the 05. Guy ran a carfax and it came back with 200,000+ miles on it. So that's a no. On the 03, came out of a Sierra 2500. Confirmed 91,000 miles. Firm on the $825. No accessories--alt, ac compressor etc. Anyone know if the years 03 motors are comparable with the 05's? Concerning any internal updates from gm. Any year better then the other?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, got a confirmation on the 05. Guy ran a carfax and it came back with 200,000+ miles on it. So that's a no. On the 03, came out of a Sierra 2500. Confirmed 91,000 miles. Firm on the $825. No accessories--alt, ac compressor etc. Anyone know if the years 03 motors are comparable with the 05's? Concerning any internal updates from gm. Any year better then the other?

Got an RPO for that '03 to compare to? AFAIK, there aren't any differences other than maybe the intake manifold with the fueling system and maybe the TB. '03 was the first year for the DBW TB so it may be a mid year thing. Nothing to be concerned with since you can plop on your IM and it'd all be plug-and-play. All your accessories will bolt up just the same, so no need to buy those, anyway.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Got an RPO for that '03 to compare to? AFAIK, there aren't any differences other than maybe the intake manifold with the fueling system and maybe the TB. '03 was the first year for the DBW TB so it may be a mid year thing. Nothing to be concerned with since you can plop on your IM and it'd all be plug-and-play. All your accessories will bolt up just the same, so no need to buy those, anyway.
Sounds good. Now just gotta get the $$ together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove