Tonny's 2001 Tahoe build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys! Very busy lately. This afternoon my college and I finished the interior part as far a planned for now. It came out really great! Most credits go to my college though! :D

IMG_2062.JPEG

IMG_2063.JPEG

IMG_2064.JPEG
IMG_2065.JPEG

IMG_2066.JPEG

Next up is maintenance and chasing the noise. Also would love to detail the rest of the car. Everything at it's time :)

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your roof came out amazing. Do you guys have an iron particle fallout issue? You have front and rear heat and air conditiong looks like.
Oh sorry I missed this message.. Thanks mate! No not really but I think most of that is from the roof rack corroding.. But you can have extra iron fallout if you park next to train rails often for example. Yes that right but my airco is not working due to lack of maintenance I guess. Hasn't worked since I got the Hoe..

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys and girls, it's time to blow the dust of this topic and tell you guys what is going on and going to happen!

Since my last post nothing really new happened with the Tahoe. Had new MOT in April 2020 and so on his way to the next MOT in 2021. Had a busy and rough time in '19 en '20. All though the world is on fire, I actually have better times coming. Finally got my own house, getting my Vizsla pup next week and the Chevy will be getting changes I'm dying to do since I've got my Tahoe and inspiration on this forum. Things are now in motion.

Since I've got my own house and a lot of stuff was in storage I found some things like a Pioneer amplifier and sub in 1; TS-WX206A. And since I still ran the original radio with cassette deck and speakers sounding like crap, it was time for a change.

The Pioneer TS-WX206A; and let someone make new cables for this since I left them in the previous car.
5697FDC2-5D61-457E-AB70-963E76D99700.jpg

So then decided I did not want a 2-din, just wanted a single din radio with bluetooth. So I found this conversion set in Germany with a Caliber radio included. Ended up with a free upgrade to a newer version radio with DAB+ function. The only downside is you can not remove the front cover because the single din slot comes with his own cover to match the new 1-din holder, but otherwise very satisfied with the radio. The Pioneer sub did have his pre-install to test and still works fine and enough for my cabin. But the doors wil get other speakers to and I actually consider to remove the factory amplifier and all the speakers, wires and just go for some decent front door speakers in combination with the subwoofer. Well here is the result of the single din conversion;
IMG_5465.JPEG

IMG_5501.JPEG

IMG_5502.JPEG

IMG_5582.JPEG

Next post incoming

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And since the beginning I wasn't exactly blown away by the 16 inch rims. But after reading a lot of topics, I made the decision to go for 18 inch titan wheels, @05Single 's build was one of my inspiration. But Netherlands is not America and these rims are rare and if I found a rough set they still dare to ask like $1200 dollar. But this month I finally found a set that I couldn't resist for the price. The downside is, because of my new home and dog, the tires have to wait until upcoming MOT in April 2021.

Al though these rims have been laying around more then driven with, one is already starting to corrode so I'm also thinking about letting them getting sandblasted and powder coated with a transparant top coating. But then they are as new and very strong.

As they are now:
IMG_5261.JPEG

IMG_5294.JPEG

I also got fender flares laying around and really can't make my mind if I'm going to put them on or not, here are some examples from 05single's build, I will keep the sidestep, and the advantage is, it will cover up most of the damage the previous owner made.... What you guys reckon? EDIT: BTW behind my steel rims are 10mm spacers, will look even better then with the fender flares... Those titan wheel have a little lower ET, 25 instead of 31 on the original 16x6,5j ET31. Titan wheels are 18x8j ET25. So will see what looks better, with or without my 10mm spacers.

Screenshot_2016-05-13-00-37-33.png

Screenshot_2016-05-13-00-37-07.png

20160512_192553.jpg

And I'm busy with a tuner nearby. We tested this week his software can make the same changes as Black Bear Performance can. That will be coming but as it will get tuned I take the opportunity to upgrade my intake hose to a Airaid 200-921 with a better drop in air filter and something like a flowmaster 50 series or flow fx. Have to stay under 97 decibels max..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your amp/sub looks like it has an exhaust on it lol. Pretty cool. I like the idea of the flares. Are you lifting or lowering it?
Hahah. Yes it does, that are the openings. Pretty famous sub in Europe from Pioneer, is Pioneer big in America? I'm stock hight. If I would do something, it's lowering it a little. But I really like the hight as it is in the sense that I cannot always keep all 4 wheels or on the road and a few weeks ago I did a dangerous overtaking, ending up 2/3 on the grass, but because this is a big vehicle here and the 4x4 who was on, saved me from ending up in a farmers ditch.

But for now I keep it stock because a 2/3 lowering set will maybe be to low for me as how I drive with the Chevy. This year I also got my motorcycle drivers license and my dream is to have a nice coupe to join the group like a BMW m3 or 330, 125i, 135, or whatever if affordable then.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hahah. Yes it does, that are the openings. Pretty famous sub in Europe from Pioneer, is Pioneer big in America? I'm stock hight. If I would do something, it's lowering it a little. But I really like the hight as it is in the sense that I cannot always keep all 4 wheels or on the road and a few weeks ago I did a dangerous overtaking, ending up 2/3 on the grass, but because this is a big vehicle here and the 4x4 who was on, saved me from ending up in a farmers ditch.

But for now I keep it stock because a 2/3 lowering set will maybe be to low for me as how I drive with the Chevy. This year I also got my motorcycle drivers license and my dream is to have a nice coupe to join the group like a BMW m3 or 330, 125i, 135, or whatever if affordable then.
Pioneer is pretty big in America. They have great double din radios. Great quality for a decent price. I have one in my 03.ygSuypSz-1148842505.jpg

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pioneer is pretty big in America. They have great double din radios. Great quality for a decent price. I have one in my 03.View attachment 266073
Cool, I already thought so. 2-din is cool but you need a new dashboard panel ha? And did you use the original amplifier and wiring or have you changed a lot of your audio? Looks good mate. But that dash piece was not available in Europe so it would be a very expensive build because of sending and taxes. Secondly I've a Pioneer AVIC-X3III from 2008 from my neighbor. Was like a €2000 dollar system that time, single din radio with fold-up screen, dvd, bluetooth, but all with different different accessoires for all those functions, I thought, not worth the work and I don't need things so fancy haha. This is the system, got it for sale without the bluetooth part who my neighbor still tries to find; https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1640123830.

One thing I wanted was Apple Carplay, but in single din they are limited and the cheapest was like €700 dollar for single din from Pioneer. But when I navigate for example I always do it with my Apple phone and Apple watch. This set was like €100 dollar including shipping; bracket, radio and iso converter, so I'm happy with this for the moment.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Cool, I already thought so. 2-din is cool but you need a new dashboard panel ha? And did you use the original amplifier and wiring or have you changed a lot of your audio? Looks good mate. But that dash piece was not available in Europe so it would be a very expensive build because of sending and taxes. Secondly I've a Pioneer AVIC-X3III from 2008 from my neighbor. Was like a €2000 dollar system that time, single din radio with fold-up screen, dvd, bluetooth, but all with different different accessoires for all those functions, I thought, not worth the work and I don't need things so fancy haha. This is the system, got it for sale without the bluetooth part who my neighbor still tries to find; https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1640123830.

One thing I wanted was Apple Carplay, but in single din they are limited and the cheapest was like €700 dollar for single din from Pioneer. But when I navigate for example I always do it with my Apple phone and Apple watch. This set was like €100 dollar including shipping; bracket, radio and iso converter, so I'm happy with this for the moment.
Thx.
Luckily I have an LS model, so I don't have alot of fancy gadgets such as Bose. I have the double din internal amp driving all the door speakers and a JL Audio mono amp driving a custom made sub box with 2 12's. Sounds pretty decent.
The flip out single dins always hit the shifter handle when they slide out.
To convert to a double din you'll need the double din radio cage along with the bezel. You could always cut and modify your bezel, but you definitely need the cage.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx.
Luckily I have an LS model, so I don't have alot of fancy gadgets such as Bose. I have the double din internal amp driving all the door speakers and a JL Audio mono amp driving a custom made sub box with 2 12's. Sounds pretty decent.
The flip out single dins always hit the shifter handle when they slide out.
To convert to a double din you'll need the double din radio cage along with the bezel. You could always cut and modify your bezel, but you definitely need the cage.
A right, so only 1 speaker at each door? I've the LT model but can't find any signs of it being Bose, and it sounds like crap so I hope for Bose this is not their stuff. Also as sad, no sign anywhere of it being bose. I will upload some pictures. My original system is a with a amplifier behind the glovebox. System is a 9 speaker configuration from factory. 16ish cm speaker in each door plus a tweeter connected in the doorpanel. The previous owner still had all stock except for the sub who was lying in the cabin behind the passenger seat. But as those wires are tin, everything is old, and not stock anyways, I'm thinking about removing all the old speakers, wires and amplifier, and create my own system with the Pioneer sub and just two decend speakers in the front doors, just amplfied by my 75watt radio output. Also Busy with weight savings so that will help a lot a since i've like a cabin the speakers in the back doors are not really helping anyways. Also because of this stock amplifier, and a other radio now, it messes with eachother what can disturb the clearness of speakers. You can also make reroute so you don't have to delete the stock amplifier but since this truck is no longer near stock, and will be with me for a long, I'm really leaning towards removing whats unneccessary and make it as I like it. ''I see in your topic you've a 2003 Tahoe, 2003 in also the facelift year so I think you've the facelift model then'' Here some pictures to explain.

Old 1,5din radio with a freaking casettedeck:
IMG_5614.JPEG

Stock speakers in door, without the speakerholder/rack. And I got some tweakers in the doorpanels, not photo's of that. So I have wires to each door, one for the tweeter and one for the speaker:
IMG_5612.JPEG

IMG_5613.JPEG

And this is the Amplifier behind the glove box:
IMG_5615.JPEG

Greets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019