Tire / Wheel Crisis :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TOoSmOotH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok.. So I have been going back and forth for several weeks on what to do about my tire situation. I have 16" rims on my 04 yukon and my tires need to be replaced. Now my eventual goal is to get larger rims (probably something like 22s or 24s) but I want the large rims to be a summer set and use what I have now as the winter set. What I have been reading is in order to support larger brakes I need to have at least 17" rims. So here is my crisis. I found these on craigslist: http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/1361779726.html

Now if I go with those I probably still need to drop another 650 on tires. So I am sittin just over 1k on them.

I also found these: http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/1329540211.html which I heard I should be ok with 20s without messin with my brakes. I want to go the murdered out direction but might be able to put up with the chrome wheels.

So I guess it comes down to this. Do I stick new tires on the 16" rims, buy the 17" and put tires on it, or go for the 20s? I am trying to make sure I don't waste my money on tires that I can't use when I do the brakes at a later time. Thoughts?

Thanks

Smooth out

cruisedirector

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The first thing I would look at is what do you plan to do with your Yuke. If you are planning even a little off road excursion once in a while...............you know....lovers lane with potholes.....I would stay clear of anything bigger than 17s. I spent about 80% off my time off road so it's good to have more rubber than rim. Nothing like slamming your head into the roof when you don't have enough rubber to absorb the bumps!! Then again, if your Yuke is a street ***** then gussy her up with some BIG CHROME SLIPPERS!!!!
Just my 2 cents!
Cheers!

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
get those 20's....I drive with mine year round, but you'd be spending some coin on a set of new brakes, new tires for winter, and some 22-24's...the 20's will look nice on there no matter what.

Tribalbreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 22's for the summer and my stock 17s for winter with some a/t tires... i have not upgraded to bigger brakes but i was told at least 18s for the kits i was looking at...

OP
OP
T

TOoSmOotH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No response from the guy on craigslist so probably gunna just get tires on the 16s. I do a lot of highway driving to work every day and I need good brakes. Any idea on how big I can go realistically with stock brakes? Should I max out at say 20s?

Thanks

Smooth out

syndicatesteve

Syndicate Steve
Reaction score
I am running 26's on my Yukon and I dont have any problem stopping, But I am enhancing the brakes. plan on spending a minimum of 1000 per axle for a decent upgrade. as for wheels........22 are nice, 24, are great , 26's= bitchin look, but sacrifice the ride!
picture.php

Last edited:

roadrageror

ROADRAGEROR
Reaction score
i have 22s no problem stopping (stock except for ss brake lines). i think ssbc brakes will work with your stock 16s tho..i say go atleast a 24"..

02 Cat Cutter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i had some 22"s on mine before with some 305 tires, and man they looked good on there. the width and the proportions of 22" rims, 305/40 series tires look the best on these trucks if you ask me especially when lowered. I'd go with the 20"s but only if you want to get big sidewall tires or lower the truck and add some low pro's. depends on what you wanna spend, but you already got the right truck.

OP
OP
T

TOoSmOotH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMG_1413.JPG_595.jpg

I am on a budget so is there a tire size that will fit on my 16s that will reduce the size of the gap in the wheel wells? I was looking to go all terrain on the rims for my winter set. I think they are 265r16 on there currently.

Thanks for all the info I appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper

Latest posts