Tips for denali rear speaker removal and headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

linny1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 05 yukon xl denali. It has the bose system. I tried to remove the rear pilar panels and they have little speakers in them. For the life of me, i cant figure out how to remove them or get them loose enough to remove the panels to allow the headliner to drop down in rear. It almost like they were molded into the panels. Are there any pictorials or videos that assist in this? Evey video i find is of a non bose or non denali and focuses on door speakers. The goal is to drop the back of the rear headliner down to access the roof. . I can rebuild my front end but this has me stumped.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 05 yukon xl denali. It has the bose system. I tried to remove the rear pilar panels and they have little speakers in them. For the life of me, i cant figure out how to remove them or get them loose enough to remove the panels to allow the headliner to drop down in rear. It almost like they were molded into the panels. Are there any pictorials or videos that assist in this? Evey video i find is of a non bose or non denali and focuses on door speakers. The goal is to drop the back of the rear headliner down to access the roof. . I can rebuild my front end but this has me stumped.
look for video's showing how to access the rear hvac blend door, that will show you how to get the pillars off
basically the rear hatch lower trim piece comes off, then the headliner trim also comes off, then a couple screws in the pillar area
and then either side can be pulled out, the factory pillar speakers are smal like 2.5", with some modifications I was able to fit 3.5" in them without any visible difference from the outside.
skip to 4 minutes on this one

OP
OP
L

linny1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay this is going to sound silly but I went out and looked at it again just now I just realized my problem. The black plastic bracket that holds the speaker into the trim panel has broken off the trim panel so when I took the gray interior panel off the speaker is still mounted on the pillar and that's why I couldn't figure out that it had a disconnect. So I'm going to have to pull that off and then re-glue it to the interior panel. That's the reason why I couldn't figure out how to get them out LOL hopefully somebody else reads this LOL

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay this is going to sound silly but I went out and looked at it again just now I just realized my problem. The black plastic bracket that holds the speaker into the trim panel has broken off the trim panel so when I took the gray interior panel off the speaker is still mounted on the pillar and that's why I couldn't figure out that it had a disconnect. So I'm going to have to pull that off and then re-glue it to the interior panel. That's the reason why I couldn't figure out how to get them out LOL hopefully somebody else reads this LOL
some have a screw on that pillar cover hidden behind a small plastic cover, if the screw is not removed and it is forced off that might explain the break, otherwise there are just standard clips. It's been a minute since I have removed those rear panels on a 800 so I could be wrong.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I upgraded my audio system, I simply left those rear speakers in place and disconnected the wires. I saw no value in have those speakers live, after upgrading the rest of the speakers in the truck and adding a sub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan