Timing chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine at 150 k just because, when I was installing a cam. It was still like new but I went ahead and installed the new Cloyes Tru-Roller.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I realize Dorman is a budget brand but I'm not sure what you mean by "that sounds about right"... The timing chain & sprockets were OE, as I mentioned. The reason the Dorman cover was chosen is because they actually offer design improvements over the OE cover that make it easier to replace without removing the oil pan as well.

The distributor wasn't OE but it was quality brand. I always buy quality on parts that actually make a difference.
To be blunt, doorman sucks ass. Stopped using them at work cause we were getting too many comebacks with their products across the board

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be blunt, doorman sucks ass. Stopped using them at work cause we were getting too many comebacks with their products across the board
I don't care what your opinion of Dorman is, I asked what you meant by your comment "that sounds about right for Dorman"

The only Dorman part was the timing chain cover. How does that have any bearing at all on the symptoms or problems I listed that led you to say, "That sounds about right for Dorman"?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems to me snowdrifter read your post wrong and thought you used a dorman brand timing chain. which since he severely dislikes dorman insisted thats why the new part felt looser than the old part.

nath

Reaction score
I can only speak to my situation but I had a clogged cat misdiagnoses as a "loose timing chain" or "jumped time" get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuild the LT1 from my 1994 Camaro. The cam gear had fallen off. I think a former owner had possibly swapped cams. They didn't properly torque the cam gear bolts. Made a mess. I rebuild the motor at 90,000 miles. I put in a bigger cam. I believe a new timing chain and cover as well (was a long time ago). I kept the same gears as nothing was wrong with them. However, the original timing chain looked like it could survive a nuclear explosion. Seriously was VERY tough design. I could see them lasting for a VERY long time. Last I heard that Camaro is still out there running around. I sold it in 2006 with little over 100,000 miles. AWESOME car.

If I rebuilt another motor. I'd likely not change the chain. Although I'd love to see a spec that says how much slack or play the chain could have in it. Sometime to determine how warn it is. I'm sure GM specifies somewhere?

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I second that dorman is very poor quality. Although, a timing cover wouldn't make any difference. (I too read the comments wrong lol)

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second that dorman is very poor quality. Although, a timing cover wouldn't make any difference. (I too read the comments wrong lol)

For a sec my brain played games with me, I read it as "Doorman is a very good poor quality" lols yeah I avoid doorman for almost everything, I replaced my rear end pinion yoke and seal with a doorman unit and seal, and it leaked within a week in my way to work, I was so mad, lucky for me I have a solid spacer and I can just use a torque wrench to set the preload installed my OEM back after polishing the seal surface along with a Yukon seal. Hasn't leaked since the doorman seal looked as if it was brittle due to heat cycles.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dorman parts have their place- easily accessible non critical stuff only. Their 2- piece rear brake dust shields are an example. The oem ones are 1-piece and require removing the axles to replace. The Dorman ones are easy to install with no axle removal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645