Camshaft/timing issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loosenuts13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, Im new to this forum so please excuse me if i do anything wrong with this post.

Im having issues with the truck not starting after cam shaft replacement and am pretty sure its 180 out but not sure why? im sure its a rookie mistake but i really could use some insight.

I also want to mention im not a mechanic other than a weekend one and have very little car knowledge so again please forgive me :p.

I have a 2017 tahoe with the 5.3 that was having misfires on #7. I know this is a common issue thanks to the AFM and unfortunately it caused damaged to the cam shaft lobe. I have replaced the camshaft, lifters, lifter guides and just about everything but the rockers and springs. and im like 92% sure i did everything right. Took off the timing chain and replaced everything as recommended and spent wayyy to long making sure the crank and cam shaft were lined up and correct for the timing with #1 at TDC so i am pretty confident that was all put back correctly. put everything back together got it all oiled and fluids and coolants and everything and went to turn it over and she ran for about a minute. She sounded terrible while running and then cut off. I wasnt sure why and when i tried to start again shes turning over and every so often i got a "cough" from the engine which i later observed to be a backfire in the intake and the engine bay reaks of gas. Im pretty sure its 180 out and im not sure why. I made sure the #1 cylinder was TDC of the compression stroke before tightening the rockers to spec in the correct order. (Questions about the TDC of compression stroke, So i used a pressure guage to make sure it was the compression stroke. It is supposed to be TDC after the compression stroke right? meaning cylinder is coming up, forcing the pressure up, hits TDC and thats where you stop? Is that right? Or is it supposed to be TDC before the actual compression?) Its things like that where im sure im making my mistake. But Im wondering if it is 180 out will i need to ripe the motor down again to get to the time chaing to make adjustments there or can i simply try tighting the rockers while its TDC on the exhaust stroke? Would that reverse it to where its sparking correctly again or is that a really dumb idea.

Please let me know any thoughts or possible solutions. Anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the cam gear was installed aligned to the dot to the dot of the crank gear, then you installed it correctly and not likely a cam timing issue.

Did you get your computer reflashed to remove the DOD/AFM stuff?

OP
OP
L

loosenuts13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't have it reflashed I was going to get the obd2 adapter that deletes the AFM. I feel like I'm doing something wrong with TDC and torqueing the rocker arms down.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019