Time to start saving up for rebuild or new transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2014 Tahoe LT 166k miles
6L80e transmission

Idk how many threads I’ve made about my transmission… in February I bought 2014 Tahoe with 166k miles and was having weird and rough shifts after about a week or so, I took it back to dealership and they said transmission fluids were dirty (after salesman’s told me fluids were all changed)
Got the transmission fluids changed and the problem persisted.

So after I learned he lied about something I tired my hardest to return it. Unfortunately no lemon laws in my state and no return policies on loans I guess. I begged for them to take it back with no luck.

Fast forward to now I just feel like the shifting is getting worse and I feel like im losing power. When going from 1st to 2nd it shouldn’t feel like the whole vehicle is like jumping or Rocking forward when shifting gears, Only seems to be 1st and 2nd gear, and especially noticeable when just lightly pressing throttle. Rest of the gears feels like there is no power when I need it on demand. The gas pedal feels like a frickin brick too and very mushy.

So should I just wait for it to fail? Or get it fixed now? What if it’s not even the transmission? I do have a missing stud on my manifold and a leak apparently, but I can’t find where.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much are transmissions to fix?
Get the proper diagnostic tools so you can see what's going on and not guess about it.

A Tech-2 SHOULD work but I have not been able to verify this. Might have to use an MDI with a laptop running GDS software or a Snap-On
All I have is a Zurich z8

I believe those ones you mentioned are a little pricey. Money isn’t something I really have lying around unfortunately (not saying everyone else does)

I have also considered resetting the TCM but have never done this. So I would need to be told how. Can’t find specific information on how to reset TCM in my model

Also concerned about messing something up.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fluid looks good. I had it changed recently. The temp outside has only gotten up to about 85°F (not even summer yet) and the hottest the trans has got is nearly 180°F. I’m concerned for when it gets over 100°F out and I know everyone will say get a better cooler (idk if there is one that comes factory on these) but why would I wanna throw it on a potentially junk transmission?

Also saw a tech 2 clone on eBay for $60, kinda mad I got this Zurich z8 now…

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much are transmissions to fix?

I believe those ones you mentioned are a little pricey. Money isn’t something I really have lying around unfortunately
Compared to spending $7K on a new transmission? These things pay for themselves after the first repair in most cases. They save you money by not wasting money on parts or shop labor by quickly and accurately identifying problems yourself.

I get it about money, the Lord provides when we're in fellowship with him.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compared to spending $7K on a new transmission? These things pay for themselves after the first repair in most cases. They save you money by not wasting money on parts or shop labor by quickly and accurately identifying problems yourself.

I get it about money, the Lord provides when we're in fellowship with him.
I mean, I just picked up that zürich z8

But go ahead and drop a link for that tech 2 and I’ll pick it up next time I get paid. All I saw was clones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
champion313