Time to start saving up for rebuild or new transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve looked at the AFM disabler plug in, and I’ve read good things. Just not sure where to put my money. What more important to check out first.

Reaction score
1. The gas pedal feels like a brick when taking off...
Sounds like possibly dirty throttle body, failing TPS or something related. If you had a speed sensor code, you should have replaced the speed sensors unless that was already done and the code was simply stored in the PCM's history.
----

When you say "late shifting and slipping" when exactly is this happening? What gears and under what circumstances?

-----
My Tahoe also sounds like a big whirling turbine at very low speeds and quiets down afterwards and if yours is the same type of noise, that's normal. If you're hearing distinct, metallic whirling sounds coming from the trans, that could be 4-5-6 clutch hub coming apart but that sounds is distinct from the whirling turbine sound heard at take-off.

----
You need to get your Tahoe scanned w/a scanner that can read transmission codes and display live data (most shops will have these; a TECH2 is ideal but any Snap-On, OTC or other higher end scan tool will work, for diagnosis anyway. Look out for any P0700+ codes especially as most of those are either TEHCM, Valve body or gear ratio error codes.

I'd also start saving for an overhaul or replacement transmission simply because the mileage on your truck is around the time they like to shit the bed.

I’ve looked at the AFM disabler plug in, and I’ve read good things. Just not sure where to put my money. What more important to check out first.
Fix your other shit first - get the vehicle working correctly before you start modding things (unless you can bet your life on a mod actually solving your problems as described).

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what’s the tech 2 gonna show me that my current scanner won’t?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like possibly dirty throttle body, failing TPS or something related. If you had a speed sensor code, you should have replaced the speed sensors unless that was already done and the code was simply stored in the PCM's history.
----

When you say "late shifting and slipping" when exactly is this happening? What gears and under what circumstances?

-----
My Tahoe also sounds like a big whirling turbine at very low speeds and quiets down afterwards and if yours is the same type of noise, that's normal. If you're hearing distinct, metallic whirling sounds coming from the trans, that could be 4-5-6 clutch hub coming apart but that sounds is distinct from the whirling turbine sound heard at take-off.

----
You need to get your Tahoe scanned w/a scanner that can read transmission codes and display live data (most shops will have these; a TECH2 is ideal but any Snap-On, OTC or other higher end scan tool will work, for diagnosis anyway. Look out for any P0700+ codes especially as most of those are either TEHCM, Valve body or gear ratio error codes.

I'd also start saving for an overhaul or replacement transmission simply because the mileage on your truck is around the time they like to shit the bed.

Fix your other shit first - get the vehicle working correctly before you start modding things (unless you can bet your life on a mod actually solving your problems as described).
So you’re saying the ZR8 Won’t show these codes? I should return it and get a different one? Or what.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t have one of the three mechanic to look at my vehicle had to have har a scanner line that? And they said no codes

Reaction score
So you’re saying the ZR8 Won’t show these codes? I should return it and get a different one? Or what.
Have no experience w/that tool so can't say.

Sounds like you may have two separate problems but hard to say for sure...Here's what I would do, if I were you:

1) Diagnose and fix the stiff accelerator pedal issue first as that may or may not be causing all of your problems, including your shifting concerns w/the transmission.

2) Once you complete step 1 and you still have issues with the trans, you can try having a reflash update or adapt procedure done to see if that works.

If it doesnt then I'd pull the trans and go through it, installing all of the requisite cures and updates - i can provide a list if you need it.

I'll have a few "demo" videos on working on a 6L80e that will show the step by step process taking apart and reassembling the trans on my YT channel next week sometime.

Alternatively, you can replace it with a remanufactured unit
Most folks on here (and in general) purchase either GM or Jasper transmissions. Or you can have a local shop rebuild it (just make sure they can do the fast-adapt relearn procedure give a one year or more warranty).

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have no experience w/that tool so can't say.

Sounds like you may have two separate problems but hard to say for sure...Here's what I would do, if I were you:

1) Diagnose and fix the stiff accelerator pedal issue first as that may or may not be causing all of your problems, including your shifting concerns w/the transmission.

2) Once you complete step 1 and you still have issues with the trans, you can try having a reflash update or adapt procedure done to see if that works.

If it doesnt then I'd pull the trans and go through it, installing all of the requisite cures and updates - i can provide a list if you need it.

I'll have a few "demo" videos on working on a 6L80e that will show the step by step process taking apart and reassembling the trans on my YT channel next week sometime.

Alternatively, you can replace it with a remanufactured unit
Most folks on here (and in general) purchase either GM or Jasper transmissions. Or you can have a local shop rebuild it (just make sure they can do the fast-adapt relearn procedure give a one year or more warranty).
Ok I will double check that last part. And I will sub to your channel. Would the throttle body be a good place to start?

CM_2016Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a 2016 Chevy Tahoe with 83,000 miles. At the end of April, I noticed that my truck would stutter/shudder/vibrate at certain speeds while accelerating, but it never set a code. I initially thought it was bad fuel, so I took the truck to my dealership where I purchased the truck in 2019 as a certified pre-owned vehicle. I was told that it was an “engine misfire” with a code of P0300 and that I needed a throttle bottle service, fuel injection service, and a fuel quality/methanol check. I was told that if I did not get the repair done, “it will continue to run the way it is and can affect the motor.” The bill for this repair would be $762 plus tax. Thankfully, I decided to get a second opinion. I took my Tahoe to a local auto repair shop and what they found was quite a shock to me. They told me that my torque converter was faulty and that it needed to be replaced. They told me that this was a “common issue” found in GM vehicles ranging from 2015-2019 and that there is a Technical Service Bulletin on it as well as some class-action lawsuits. After doing some research on the internet, I found countless truck forums with GM owners complaining of this issue on trucks with 110,000 or less just like mine.
The auto shop recommended I take the truck to a transmission shop - the guy there totally rebuilt my trans to eliminate all the GM "weak links" and put in a stronger torque converter. Problem solved! Set me back $5,000!! I couldn't believe what my dealership was trying to sell me. I am so disappointed in them. The mechanics who figured out the issue told me my truck is in great shape otherwise and I should be good from here on out.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a 2016 Chevy Tahoe with 83,000 miles. At the end of April, I noticed that my truck would stutter/shudder/vibrate at certain speeds while accelerating, but it never set a code. I initially thought it was bad fuel, so I took the truck to my dealership where I purchased the truck in 2019 as a certified pre-owned vehicle. I was told that it was an “engine misfire” with a code of P0300 and that I needed a throttle bottle service, fuel injection service, and a fuel quality/methanol check. I was told that if I did not get the repair done, “it will continue to run the way it is and can affect the motor.” The bill for this repair would be $762 plus tax. Thankfully, I decided to get a second opinion. I took my Tahoe to a local auto repair shop and what they found was quite a shock to me. They told me that my torque converter was faulty and that it needed to be replaced. They told me that this was a “common issue” found in GM vehicles ranging from 2015-2019 and that there is a Technical Service Bulletin on it as well as some class-action lawsuits. After doing some research on the internet, I found countless truck forums with GM owners complaining of this issue on trucks with 110,000 or less just like mine.
The auto shop recommended I take the truck to a transmission shop - the guy there totally rebuilt my trans to eliminate all the GM "weak links" and put in a stronger torque converter. Problem solved! Set me back $5,000!! I couldn't believe what my dealership was trying to sell me. I am so disappointed in them. The mechanics who figured out the issue told me my truck is in great shape otherwise and I should be good from here on out
Wow

Reaction score
Ok I will double check that last part. And I will sub to your channel. Would the throttle body be a good place to start?
Thanks - the TB is a good a place as any as it may be dirty and/or in need of service.

What you need is a scanner with live data feeds that can stream the data as you're driving. If your scan tool is capable of that, stick it on the vehicle then drive it around as see what it displays. Also thorougly check around the acc pedal for any mechanical issues, broken parts etc.