Time for brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Les W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Guys Just had my brakes checked and I am due for replacement. I usually do my own but getting a little old to be laying around on concrete anymore. I was quoted local to replace with Raybestos reman calipers and turn rotors. They would be the better ones with rust coating on them which is good since I hate rusted looking rotors and calipers. I prefer new rotors not turning and I have never replaced calipers unless there was a problem and if I did they were new ones. Any thoughts ??

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use E coated rotors and Akebobo brakes and have never been disappointed.

domoarigato

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats wrong with the calipers on there now? or did they give any reason as to why they need to be replaced?

OP
OP
L

Les W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
whats wrong with the calipers on there now? or did they give any reason as to why they need to be replaced?
I am going to guess one generic price for one generic job. Cover their bases with caliper pads turn rotors and bleed sytem. No returns or price changes. It only has 83k first brake job. I never trust reman parts since I don’t know how many times. Thks for reply, just checking how many think like I do or am I missing something.

domoarigato

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to guess one generic price for one generic job. Cover their bases with caliper pads turn rotors and bleed sytem. No returns or price changes. It only has 83k first brake job. I never trust reman parts since I don’t know how many times. Thks for reply, just checking how many think like I do or am I missing something.

If your calipers aren't leaking at the seals / locking up / sticking, I would not think you would have to replace them (which is why I asked why they recommended it)

Most brake jobs you can get by with just replacing the rotors or getting them turned, along with fresh pads and fluids.

OP
OP
L

Les W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If your calipers aren't leaking at the seals / locking up / sticking, I would not think you would have to replace them (which is why I asked why they recommended it)

Most brake jobs you can get by with just replacing the rotors or getting them turned, along with fresh pads and fluids.
Exactly! That is why I posted since it has been many years since I did a brake job. I wanted to make sure recommendations hadn’t changed. I personally prefer new rotor and pads, flush system as minimum. Guess I will go with my gut on this one.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I flushed system and used OEM rotors and Wagner Quietstop pads.

The orig pads were still fine for all but 1 of 4 pads, which was worn to nothing- must have been a sticking slide.

If that wasn’t there pads still had a ton of life left. This was at 60k

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still worry about my brakes, but maybe I shouldn't. Odo just turned over 151,300 at the end of September and I have yet to replace anything about the brakes. Put new tires on it about 2K ago and the tire/brake guy I have used for about 20 years said the pads and rotors still look great. No leaks anywhere and brake fluid still looked OK. Original shocks are still good, too. Had coolant drained and replaced last week and all hoses and belts are still fine, too. I don't know if anything is "extra duty" because the Tahoe is a Hybrid, but is sure seems to be a low maintenance truck in this area.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flush the fluid at all 4 for sure. It might look ‘good’ but it’s not after all those miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnybalo