Ticking Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That ain't right. Sounds like it's at the frequency of cam rotation so likely valvetrain related. Other possibilities: Loose rocker arm, broken valve spring, intermittently sticking AFM lifter. I'd pop the valve cover on that side and have a looksee. How many miles?

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would rev the engine a little bit and record it, see how the sound changes with RPM. My engine would make strange lifter like sounds occasionally for a year or so before I had significant lifter failure and I think that is what is happening to you. You might be able to get it to stop temporarily and give you some time to start preparing before the problem becomes serious. My lifter rattle would occasionally happen starting at 170,000 miles and eventually had a large lifter problem at 179,000 miles.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What has been said but do not disregard the possibility of an exhaust leak from a broken manifold stud. Check all studs for broken/missing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo