Ticking noise coming from engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clay Adams

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, pretty new here. Just looking for some help, got an 03 Yukon 2wd thats lately been having this loud engine ticking noise when I start up and idle. Its very loud and noticeable. Any ideas? Thanks

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be better to record from the front end rather then near the exhaust.
Sounds like bad lifters maybe.
I'd do the sound check with a piece of rod. Place it on the valve cover and put your ear next to it.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Says to "ignore the exhaust" but makes video with camera at tailpipe and revs engine. :rolleyes:

Pretty bad when you can hear it over the exhaust, though. It definitely sounds like a lifter. Lets hope it's just collapsed and not turned in the bore. You should avoid running it until you can confirm.

OP
OP
Clay Adams

Clay Adams

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Says to "ignore the exhaust" but makes video with camera at tailpipe and revs engine. :rolleyes:

Pretty bad when you can hear it over the exhaust, though. It definitely sounds like a lifter. Lets hope it's just collapsed and not turned in the bore. You should avoid running it until you can confirm.

Sorry lol I forgot to mention that was the only video I had of it. So do I need to get new lifters as a whole or are there any cheaper ways to do it. Thanks

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry lol I forgot to mention that was the only video I had of it. So do I need to get new lifters as a whole or are there any cheaper ways to do it. Thanks

Just poking fun, I knew it was intended to be an exhaust vid.

If it's just one collapsed lifter, you could technically replace just that one. But, since the head will be off and all the other lifters have the same mileage, all lifters should be replaced and I'd recommend doing both banks. It'd be twice the cost to have to tear it back apart (new head bolts, head gasket(s), etc.) to replace another lifter later. The latest and greatest OEM design are the LS7 lifters, and a set can be had for $100-$120. Some sellers offer a lifter and tray package, too. Gonna need intake manifold gaskets (unless they've been replaced before), head bolts, head gaskets, 16 lifters, set of four lifter trays, coolant crossover gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets and likely exhaust manifold bolts.

If the lifter has turned in the bore, then you're gonna need a new cam in addition to everything listed above as well as everything associated with a cam swap. If it is a turned lifter, it'll continue to wreak havoc throughout the engine with all the metal in the oil.

OP
OP
Clay Adams

Clay Adams

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just poking fun, I knew it was intended to be an exhaust vid.

If it's just one collapsed lifter, you could technically replace just that one. But, since the head will be off and all the other lifters have the same mileage, all lifters should be replaced and I'd recommend doing both banks. It'd be twice the cost to have to tear it back apart (new head bolts, head gasket(s), etc.) to replace another lifter later. The latest and greatest OEM design are the LS7 lifters, and a set can be had for $100-$120. Some sellers offer a lifter and tray package, too. Gonna need intake manifold gaskets (unless they've been replaced before), head bolts, head gaskets, 16 lifters, set of four lifter trays, coolant crossover gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets and likely exhaust manifold bolts.

If the lifter has turned in the bore, then you're gonna need a new cam in addition to everything listed above as well as everything associated with a cam swap. If it is a turned lifter, it'll continue to wreak havoc throughout the engine with all the metal in the oil.
Wow, alright sounds good thanks a lot!

Nicholas Taylor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im having a similar issue but mine doesnt happen all the time honest it hardley ever happens maybe like once a month just at random that ticking noise will happen then after like 5 mins it will go away and i wont hear it again for another month or 2, any ideas?

Nicholas Taylor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im having a similar issue but mine doesnt happen all the time honest it hardley ever happens maybe like once a month just at random that ticking noise will happen then after like 5 mins it will go away and i wont hear it again for another month or 2, any ideas?
I have a 06 yukon denali 6.0L

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Does it at startup after sitting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman