Throttle body help (solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

pauly1119

Reaction score
That was the early version of drive by wire on pre 03 suvs. They borrowed it from the vette.

and are you trying to move it by hand with the switch on?
When I first changed the
That was the early version of drive by wire on pre 03 suvs. They borrowed it from the vette.

and are you trying to move it by hand with the switch on?
When I first changed the TPS the door wouldn’t open with the key on and pushing the gas pedal so I lightly pushed it open and it kinda popped open. When I started it the rpm went to about 3k when I put it back together and the gas pedal didn’t work, then the traction control light came on and I got reduced engine power and idles rough now. Gas pedal works again now after letting it sit and idle rough but I still have the rough idle and check engine lights. Worst part it was running fine I’ve just been doing preventative maintenance stuff and the sensor I removed broke in half when I removed it so I can’t even just put it back on but I feel like it was the motor on the throttle body that was stuck for some reason.

03catburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first changed the

When I first changed the TPS the door wouldn’t open with the key on and pushing the gas pedal so I lightly pushed it open and it kinda popped open. When I started it the rpm went to about 3k when I put it back together and the gas pedal didn’t work, then the traction control light came on and I got reduced engine power and idles rough now. Gas pedal works again now after letting it sit and idle rough but I still have the rough idle and check engine lights. Worst part it was running fine I’ve just been doing preventative maintenance stuff and the sensor I removed broke in half when I removed it so I can’t even just put it back on but I feel like it was the motor on the throttle body that was stuck for some reason.
You can not touch them with the switch on, only with switch off.

When on the throttle body is commanded to a home position (ready to crank and run).

So read what codes are stored now and post up the codes here

Clear the codes and if everything goes back to normal then you should be OK if not you most likely jacked up the throttle body

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first changed the

sounds like you just broke the controller if they are cheaper than another throttle body just replace it again.
you can't clean the throttle body with the key on or engine running.
has to be done with key off

OP
OP
P

pauly1119

Reaction score
sounds like you just broke the controller if they are cheaper than another throttle body just replace it again.
you can't clean the throttle body with the key on or engine running.
has to be done with key off
Looking at the position sensor , the old one has limits. I wonder if when I put it in it was at its limit and when I pushed the door open I damaged it? I tried to reposition it this morning but it does the same thing.

OP
OP
P

pauly1119

Reaction score
You can not touch them with the switch on, only with switch off.

When on the throttle body is commanded to a home position (ready to crank and run).

So read what codes are stored now and post up the codes here

Clear the codes and if everything goes back to normal then you should be OK if not you most likely jacked up the throttle body
I usually turn the key on not running and press the gas pedal and the door opens so I can wipe it down. I never spray anything inside it. I wonder if I broke the position sensor when the door wouldn’t open

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually turn the key on not running and press the gas pedal and the door opens so I can wipe it down. I never spray anything inside it. I wonder if I broke the position sensor when the door wouldn’t open
with the key off you can just push the butterfly open it's not locked shut, or shouldn't be-being that is one I have not encountered before who knows but you won't hurt anything spraying cleaner in there even very liberally at worst you might get a little choke when first turning it over after cleaning but it will clear right up.
what you don't want to do is "force" it open which what it sounds like you did, normally they open freely with a slight push because it has a spring retention, you push a little and it opens and closes when you release it, they open to almost 50% and stop. you can clean it doing that just don't push ******* the butterfly making it bend or go beyond where it wants to stop. I normally hold it open with 1 finger and clean it all over top and bottom inside and out, spraying liberally on the rag and or inside the body because the cleaner evaporates quickly.

OP
OP
P

pauly1119

Reaction score
After seeing the position sensor had limits I thought I probably put it in towards the end of the limits and when I pushed the butterfly door open I broke it. When I took it back off you couldn’t tell anything happen to it, looked normal still. I found a duralast one at AutoZone and was aware this time of the position to allow the door to open and it’s back to normal, actually idling so smooth I can hardly hear it. All the check engine lights went away after doing a quick relearn by cycling the engine on and off 3 times for 3 minutes. So a bad throttle body sensor caused the gas pedal to not work, traction control lights, check engine lights and a very rough idle more like hardly running.

OP
OP
P

pauly1119

Reaction score
with the key off you can just push the butterfly open it's not locked shut, or shouldn't be-being that is one I have not encountered before who knows but you won't hurt anything spraying cleaner in there even very liberally at worst you might get a little choke when first turning it over after cleaning but it will clear right up.
what you don't want to do is "force" it open which what it sounds like you did, normally they open freely with a slight push because it has a spring retention, you push a little and it opens and closes when you release it, they open to almost 50% and stop. you can clean it doing that just don't push ******* the butterfly making it bend or go beyond where it wants to stop. I normally hold it open with 1 finger and clean it all over top and bottom inside and out, spraying liberally on the rag and or inside the body because the cleaner evaporates quickly.
I now know why the door hard to be slightly forced because I had the throttle sensor in wrong. I thought they came at a factory setting but they don’t. I always thought it wasn’t good to push the electronic ones open manually because the PC gets off?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I now know why the door hard to be slightly forced because I had the throttle sensor in wrong. I thought they came at a factory setting but they don’t. I always thought it wasn’t good to push the electronic ones open manually because the PC gets off?
myself and many other members just push them open to clean them (key off) and have for years I clean mine around every 3 months although lately a little longer 4-5 months because it has still been pretty clean at 3 months, most people do not clean them that often but I would recommend doing it at least annually.
reality is if you clean it anything could happen but I have found any issue's arising from cleaning it are pretty rare I have never had a problem myself over 20+ years and multiple vehicles and even stuff previous to that. Sometimes we get a person that needs to "relearn" the idle but usually that is after installing a new one if it happens at all. or when replacing the controller as you have

OP
OP
P

pauly1119

Reaction score
myself and many other members just push them open to clean them (key off) and have for years I clean mine around every 3 months although lately a little longer 4-5 months because it has still been pretty clean at 3 months, most people do not clean them that often but I would recommend doing it at least annually.
reality is if you clean it anything could happen but I have found any issue's arising from cleaning it are pretty rare I have never had a problem myself over 20+ years and multiple vehicles and even stuff previous to that. Sometimes we get a person that needs to "relearn" the idle but usually that is after installing a new one if it happens at all. or when replacing the controller as you have
Thanks, I removed the entire throttle body this morning when I was trying to diagnose what happen and was amazed at how clean the back of it it was. Funny I’ve always turned the ignition on with it off and put something on the gas pedal to clean them. I usually do it every other oil change. I guess I’ll start just opening the door gently. Learned a lesson though about the TPS, make sure it’s in the right position when it’s attached. It’s a full circle but only travels about 25%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgeurts