Throttle body coolant line question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bypassed the TB coolant lines? Any noticeable differance?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In cold climates in the winter you could ice over the throttle body ...

OP
OP
S

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In cold climates in the winter you could ice over the throttle body ...

In your opinion whats a cold climate? Either way why would it ice over? Back in the day we used to do this on the mustang and lincoln 5.0's

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy, your gonna be able to tell that I'm a newb about this, but here goes....

What are you guys talking about?

By TB, I assume Throttle Body?
There is coolant that flows into/around the tb? Around the walls? Huh?
Does that affect the Jantzer bigger TB's that we have?

@Retorq, what did you mean by 'ice over the throttle body'. I live in what many consider a colder climate. I can't assume you are being literal about that. Ice doesn't allow any air to pass. Please explain.

Damn, I feel like such a dumbass for asking....it's as if I should already know what you guys are talking about. :(

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes TB = Throttle Body. If there is any moisture on the throttle body that can literally "ice" up. It can cause bad things ...

Older vehicles with a "wet" throttle body, one that flows gas thru the blades (also old carbs) that gas can freeze the throttle blades open.

Mutangs and Lincolns have dry throttle bodies, as do most model Tahoes so my post is probably worthless to this discussion. :D

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the clarification. So it's safe to say that we don't have to worry about icing up our TB's.

But let's assume that Stresst's post implies that hot water coolant is flowing around the TB walls. Wouldn't that warm up the intake air?

EDIT: Wait a minute...Huh?
I just spent 18 hours replacing my fuel injectors and installed a spacer a little while ago. The TB sits on top of the upper intake. There is no coolant anything up there. :think:
picture.jpg

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But let's assume that Stresst's post implies that hot water coolant is flowing around the TB walls. Wouldn't that warm up the intake air?

EDIT: Wait a minute...Huh?
I just spent 18 hours replacing my fuel injectors and installed a spacer a little while ago. The TB sits on top of the upper intake. There is no coolant anything up there. :think:

Yes it would heat it up, bad for performance, good for ... well not icing shit open. LOL

I would say no, we don't have to worry about icing issues on the throttle body.

I don't have a Vortec so I didn't know for sure, LT1s and TPI setups commonly have them and are bypassed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts