Three years running. when the gas tank sees about 60F, check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There should be a small sticker inside the fuel door that indicates that E85 is allowed.

Since yours is a 2004 and is the L59 engine (based on the "Z" in the VIN) it's Flex, and the fuel cap doesn't HAVE to be yellow. Here's part of my '04's build sheet from GM:

upload_2021-1-26_23-25-34.png

upload_2021-1-26_23-26-37.png

OP
OP
D

drvrd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Really appreciate all the help I am getting. The Vehicle saw 42F so of course the check engine came back on. Fuel port door does show an E85 sticker.

PS vehicle came with a shift manipulation software change, OEM code readers cannot get past whatever this software changed. Autozone code reader ended with an error, and miss identified the vehicle as some 1215 chrysler and gave code report was bd2, as coil, sparkwiring and plugs. O'Reilly code reader did see it as GMC but did not not identify the vehicle model but produced a PO135 code(1/2) Stored, image below.

If O'Reily code is correct, clerk mentioned the O2 sensor can be cleaned. Is other then wire brushing needed?

ORielly chk eng code read.jpg

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really appreciate all the help I am getting. The Vehicle saw 42F so of course the check engine came back on. Fuel port door does show an E85 sticker.

PS vehicle came with a shift manipulation software change, OEM code readers cannot get past whatever this software changed. Autozone code reader ended with an error, and miss identified the vehicle as some 1215 chrysler and gave code report was bd2, as coil, sparkwiring and plugs. O'Reilly code reader did see it as GMC but did not not identify the vehicle model but produced a PO135 code(1/2) Stored, image below.

If O'Reily code is correct, clerk mentioned the O2 sensor can be cleaned. Is other then wire brushing needed?

View attachment 269095
I have never heard of anyone cleaning an O2 sensor. If you are going to go through the hassle of removing it from your exhaust pipe to try and clean it, replace it and be done with it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since the code points to the O2 heater, why not measure the resistance of the heater element in the sensor? Also, is the fuse for the heater good? Getting power all the way to the O2 connector?

OP
OP
D

drvrd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since the code points to the O2 heater, why not measure the resistance of the heater element in the sensor? Also, is the fuse for the heater good? Getting power all the way to the O2 connector?
Burned 1/4 tank check engine light was on, warm engine but ambient air temp. About 55F, bought a STP water capture bottle and chk. eng light went out

OP
OP
D

drvrd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tell us more about this software change.
Code change was done before 2013. So it drove about 4 yrs without this check engine light issue. Will have to chase down the wand if this is important, or interesting otherwise

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Code change was done before 2013. So it drove about 4 yrs without this check engine light issue. Will have to chase down the wand if this is important, or interesting otherwise
I only ask as we don’t have an answer to your problem. How long did you own the vehicle before this particular temp related nuance rear it’s ugly head?

OP
OP
D

drvrd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I only ask as we don’t have an answer to your problem. How long did you own the vehicle before this particular temp related nuance rear it’s ugly head?
About four years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts