Those with 2023 orders and updates.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Glad you got it in a mmonth from order time. Most of my time waiting since my reorder has been due to GM themselves bumping back my tpw by 6 weeks from my original tpw of 8/8. I never got a reason, from dealer or gm as to why they bumoed me a full 6 weeks. My dealer said he never seen that before either. Bumped back 1 week was not uncommon, 2 weeks was very rare, amd hed never seen anything longer than 2 weeks until my order.

bunky319

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me it just reinforces that orders are driven simply by allocations. If your dealer has one and they are willing to use it on your order, then things will happen faster. The same morning I called the dealer to ask about ordering I called a different dealer about 30 mins away from the other one (I'd say equal in size or the second dealer is larger) and that dealer said no RSTs or Z71s are being built. Which to me now meant they didn't have any allocations for those trim levels whereas the other dealer did.
That's good info! It shows that it is possible for things to move quickly. I agree that allocations are key. But I would add that the other part of the equation is whether you have any options on constraints. There is a small local dealer here who has very good pricing but seems like they never get allocations. I am number "5" on their list for ordering a Yukon and I was number "5" over 2 months ago. So it seems the list never moves, probably because of no allocations.

Then another dealer calls me up and says "I'm ready to order your Suburban but you have to be willing to give up the Duramax and Max Tow", which I declined. So obviously this dealer had an allocation but I had selected some options that were on constraint.

It's almost like a million stars have to line up...a dealer with decent pricing..with allocations...on a vehicle without any current constraints.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm almost embarrassed to relay our order/build time.

Our 2022 from earlier this year was a long drawn out process, from a dealer taking our order with 100% constrained RSE included, meaning it would never be built, to another dealer taking almost four months from initial order to delivery (which in hindsight was to be expected and better than some - this dealer is someone I'd go back to - if they didn't know the answer they said so).

We were looking for a replacement in late july due to not being crazy about a darker vehicle, found a bunch of 2022s, all available but all with market adjustments.

Called up dealer first of August and asked about 2023 orders, he bluntly said, they're open, what do you want to order?
That afternoon our order was submitted. 8/1
The next day it was accepted 8/2.
Found out a week later we had a TPW of 8/15
Tahoe showed up at the dealer 8/28
Z71 with luxury package

Four weeks from order to delivery - crazy. Helps that we are just a truck ride away from Dallas

To me it just reinforces that orders are driven simply by allocations. If your dealer has one and they are willing to use it on your order, then things will happen faster. The same morning I called the dealer to ask about ordering I called a different dealer about 30 mins away from the other one (I'd say equal in size or the second dealer is larger) and that dealer said no RSTs or Z71s are being built. Which to me now meant they didn't have any allocations for those trim levels whereas the other dealer did.
My opinion is that GM should reconsider its allocation model. My understanding of how Ford does it is that dealers are not limited by preset allocations. If you submit an order, it gets put into one queue. That's why a Ford dealership like Granger Ford can have so much volume. It also discourages price gouging because the allocations are not limited by each specific dealer.

bunky319

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that GM should reconsider its allocation model. My understanding of how Ford does it is that dealers are not limited by preset allocations. If you submit an order, it gets put into one queue. That's why a Ford dealership like Granger Ford can have so much volume. It also discourages price gouging because the allocations are not limited by each specific dealer.
Yep, agreed. Evidently when they put in an order, it takes away from their allocations. So they don't really have any incentive to agree to a "skinny deal" on a custom order when they can charge over MSRP on a in-stock unit. An order shouldn't take away from their normal allocation so it seems Ford is doing it the right way. However, I believe Jeep/Wagoneer also takes away an allocation on custom orders.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked the dealer we ordered from about a RST and he said they could order one, but the luxury package was constrained. checking their website they have had several "base" RSTs built over the past month

agreed GM and their ordering process seems to be outdated...Ford just seems to be struggling ramping up production with certain models - Ford Superduty trucks are ridiculously hard to come by...and the ton and half trucks are making the Tahoe/Yukon adjustments look like a deal.

I ordered a Ram 3500 late last year from a dealer similar to Granger (Mark Dodge in LA). Their ordered units appeared to not impact any allocation process that FCA has in place... When I placed my order the offsite salesman that only handles internet orders said they had over 700 units on order and unlike GM, instead of constraining an option/package but letting the initial order to be placed and sit for 6 months or longer, any applicable constraints simply meant that an order with that constraint couldn't be entered. An "option" or package was either 100% available or 0% available to every dealer.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, agreed. Evidently when they put in an order, it takes away from their allocations. So they don't really have any incentive to agree to a "skinny deal" on a custom order when they can charge over MSRP on a in-stock unit. An order shouldn't take away from their normal allocation so it seems Ford is doing it the right way. However, I believe Jeep/Wagoneer also takes away an allocation on custom orders.
That may be the case with Jeep/Wagoneer, but it seems Stellantis has more dealer inventory so perhaps custom orders aren't perceived to be as impacted as with Ford/GM.
I asked the dealer we ordered from about a RST and he said they could order one, but the luxury package was constrained. checking their website they have had several "base" RSTs built over the past month

agreed GM and their ordering process seems to be outdated...Ford just seems to be struggling ramping up production with certain models - Ford Superduty trucks are ridiculously hard to come by...and the ton and half trucks are making the Tahoe/Yukon adjustments look like a deal.

I ordered a Ram 3500 late last year from a dealer similar to Granger (Mark Dodge in LA). Their ordered units appeared to not impact any allocation process that FCA has in place... When I placed my order the offsite salesman that only handles internet orders said they had over 700 units on order and unlike GM, instead of constraining an option/package but letting the initial order to be placed and sit for 6 months or longer, any applicable constraints simply meant that an order with that constraint couldn't be entered. An "option" or package was either 100% available or 0% available to every dealer.
Ford can play that game with the Super Duty until the 2024 model year when GM introduces the revised HD pickups. Then it's game on. It was the same way with GM full size SUVs. They didn't feel the pressure until Ford started delivering the updated Expedition and Jeep started producing the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer. When you're the only game in town, there's no real pressure. Once you have 2 or more competitors, the game is on.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this part in bold is accurate.

Read the first two posts in this thread linked below - I'm surprised that spending the last year looking into this process I didn't find this thread on the Corvette forum, but I think it's the most clear and concise explanation of how the whole process works. Although it's discussing Corvette orders, I believe all the same processes and procedures apply to ordering a GM SUV.

bunky319

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this part in bold is accurate.

Read the first two posts in this thread linked below - I'm surprised that spending the last year looking into this process I didn't find this thread on the Corvette forum, but I think it's the most clear and concise explanation of how the whole process works. Although it's discussing Corvette orders, I believe all the same processes and procedures apply to ordering a GM SUV.
Thanks for that link, definitely some good info there! But honestly I don't see anything in those posts that says that custom orders don't take away from their total allocation. Every dealer I've talked to said the same thing...they are given a certain number of vehicles to order for a given ordering cycle and it doesn't matter if they are general stock orders or custom orders, the number is the number.

It was interesting to read the part about constraints and the example they gave with Torch Red Stingrays at 10%. So if the Duramax is also constrained at 10% (as I've heard), then if I don't find a dealer that gets at least 10 Yukon allocations per cycle, it will never get filled?

RedInCo

Reaction score
How does constraint allocation work across Chevy & GMC brands at a dealer who sells both? Does a dealer get their allocation on a per-brand basis? For instance, if I put in an order for a Denali with Max Trailering, and then the dealer gets only one allocation for Max Trailering on a Tahoe, can the dealer transfer the Max Trailering to the GMC order? Or would I have to work with the dealer to change my order to a Tahoe?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that link, definitely some good info there! But honestly I don't see anything in those posts that says that custom orders don't take away from their total allocation. Every dealer I've talked to said the same thing...they are given a certain number of vehicles to order for a given ordering cycle and it doesn't matter if they are general stock orders or custom orders, the number is the number.

It was interesting to read the part about constraints and the example they gave with Torch Red Stingrays at 10%. So if the Duramax is also constrained at 10% (as I've heard), then if I don't find a dealer that gets at least 10 Yukon allocations per cycle, it will never get filled?
I guess the part I noticed was the "sold order sweep." It sounds like when GM does that it does not count against a dealer's allocation? Though that method might not be happening these days - with demand outpacing production. They probably only do that when they want to build more units, because they have the extra capacity. We know that's not the case right now...

Interesting observation on the low constraint % relative to allocations. I know my dealer is not a huge volume dealer so they might not get many, if any, Duramax's with it being constrained to 10% for the rest of the '23MY. Ugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr

Latest posts