This "One Price" / "No Negotiation" is Getting Tiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

At Law

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I have been looking for a new Tahoe recently and a couple of dealers have the "one price" offering.

This seems very odd and not something any buyer would be interested in doing.

I have seen Tahoes sitting on lots for months and they will not reduce the price or take any offers.

They are clearly paying interest on these vehicles. One would think they would want to clear these off of their lots and stop the interest charges and free up cash.

Has anyone else run into this lately and thoughts?

SubSonic

Reaction score
Nope, never run into this. I always use the "lowest" / internet only pricing as my baseline to start negotiating down from.

Garandman

Reaction score

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I got mine from one of the 'the price you see is the price you pay' lots

Price was on par with KBB in my area. No room to haggle, but I think for what it is, the price was fair. Had new tires, drive belts. Like... Ink still on the tires. They didn't have even a dozen miles on them. Full maintenance records - very well taken care of. No leaks, knocks, noises, etc etc. Needed tie rods but aside from that, was turn key.

It's definitely a different experience, but, IMO, much less stressful. You look over the vehicle, determine if it's something you want to go with, and make a binary decision from there. No need to sit down and negotiate for over an hour plus and still end up walking out empty handed.

From the time I decided "I'm ready to buy" to walking out the door, keys and title in hand, was 15 minutes or so. Easy easy

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got mine from one of the 'the price you see is the price you pay' lots

Price was on par with KBB in my area. No room to haggle, but I think for what it is, the price was fair. Had new tires, drive belts. Like... Ink still on the tires. They didn't have even a dozen miles on them. Full maintenance records - very well taken care of. No leaks, knocks, noises, etc etc. Needed tie rods but aside from that, was turn key.

It's definitely a different experience, but, IMO, much less stressful. You look over the vehicle, determine if it's something you want to go with, and make a binary decision from there. No need to sit down and negotiate for over an hour plus and still end up walking out empty handed.

From the time I decided "I'm ready to buy" to walking out the door, keys and title in hand, was 15 minutes or so. Easy easy
This is pretty much how I like to buy a vehicle, as well. I may negotiate a LITTLE bit but I'll see a vehicle, look at the price and see if that price is in the range I was looking to pay, look the vehicle over and then decide to buy it. I may try and negotiate the price a little bit but if the starting price isn't within a close range of what I'm willing to pay I won't waste my time going to look at it let alone negotiating for it.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh I still haggle lol. Just be willing to walk away really. After my daily totaled I looked for a month or so.

Bought my yukon used a while ago before but price on lot was different than online price...still offered them 3k less than that. They came off 2k

Lexus dealership had a 2010ish camaro ss, was on lot 2 or 3 months I went by and talked to them. On lot for 17,700 tax tag title blah wanted 19+k for it. Same thing no haggle pricing, they couldn't sell it for a penny lower than that. Still told them 16k out the door, easiest sale they'd make all year, I'll have bank wire the funds by the time they wrote of the paper work. They Wouldn't budge sat on lot 2 more months until they dropped price to 15.9k before it sold.

Threw a retarded low number out for a prius, same deal.. no way, I was out of my mind, i wont find a better deal, i left....manager called me back a few times saying they could make the sale come on in.

Car i ended up buying they wouldn't budge but was priced decent already, 18k miles, cpo'd and would do low apr% because of being cpo

cheyenne383

Far North Lurker
Reaction score
It all depends on what you're buying. When I bought my Subaru I was in shock about the lack of negotiation... being a craigslist and GM guy most of my life I expect to show up with a *** of cash and save a good chunk of money. The Suby people basically just said here is what we'll sell it to you for, take it or leave it... I should have left lol.

There seems to be more "best price" mentality nowadays, haggling/negotiating is becoming a lost art and people are too intimidated to press the issue. I'm sad to see it go, I'm shameless... I ask for discounts as a part of paying for ANYTHING... I've been pleasantly surprised at sporting goods stores, auto parts stores, private sales, etc. Be willing to research ahead and walk out, a few hours for a couple grand in savings is more than you could make in that time typically.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
haggling/negotiating is becoming a lost art and people are too intimidated to press the issue.
My counter to this, is haggling as a buyer has also become a lost art.

I no longer do haggling if I'm trying to sell something on craigslist, facebook, etc. The sheer number of people that start off with a 50% offer, planning to go up to maybe 60% is wild. Or the folks where we chat and chat and chat, agree on a price, then they show up with the "I only brought this much $$" excuse is extremely frustrating. That and you have the folks who don't even put forth the effort - they expect me to compete against myself and propose to them, a price. There's haggling, and there's just being a *****. I've yet to encounter the former, which is a real pity.

I can't speak to the business decision to discontinue the art of negotiation, but on my end: It's proven to be both a waste of time, and a slap in the face. I post something for sale with a price attached. That's what I expect to get for it. If I wanted less, then I would have posted it for less. I am not your coupon.

Perhaps I have an unpopular opinion here, but I've officially been broken by the system.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with it as long as they have good pricing to begin with. If you're trading in that is where you still haggle.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I walked into a honda dealer the other day, had to go to home depot and it was right next door. I went for a test drive too, 18 accord touring 2l turbo 10 sp, $33,900....i told him ill give him 30 cash, blah blah.... he got up a few times.... i was just wasting time because i had to get my daughter from piano prac, maybe i was there 1/2 hr 40 minutes.... he said he couldn’t go any lower so i walked out. Texted me an hour later maybe..9A907DE5-050C-4568-991D-5AA4676CECC3.jpeg

300 off.... bought my last 3 hondas there too..... lol... whatever not in a rush and half heartedly looking....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts