This "One Price" / "No Negotiation" is Getting Tiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what political stances have to do with this thread. Keep it civil please.

Onebadsss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last car we bought from a dealer was a 2014 Subaru from a “No Haggle” dealer. The price was more than private sale but well under what Edmunds, KBB, NADA said were dealer prices: $2,000 less.

We bought the Tahoe private sale so can’t compare. We bought three new Chevies from these folks

https://www.banksautos.com/inventory.aspx?_new=true&_make=chevrolet&_model=tahoe&_trim=lt
How was your experience dealing with Banks? Toying with the idea of upgrading/downsizing the wife’s Caddy to a Traverse/Acadia

Kendall69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sales office really are bugged and listen to what you and your wife talk about when they salesperson leaved the room. I was negotiating on a 17 Yukon XL and they were sticking with just 3K off even as I said if you can come down "some more" I'll buy. When the salesperson left the room I motioned to my wife SHHHHHHH, and then I started talking " I think we should go back to the other dealer they were giving us 10K off and these people are only doing 3K off. " Then I said " when the salesperson comes back let's say our goodbye's and leave" Two minutes later the salesperson came back and we said our good bye's. When we got to the parking lot I told my wife "walk slow they will chase us" Just like clock work the salesperson said he talked to his boss and can do a great deal for us if we cam back in. The manager met us and "found" some further discounts that added up to 10K off the sticker price. Hmmmmmmmm how did he know we wanted 10K off I never mentioned it to the salesperson.

Here's what I did over the weekend. I'm now looking for a Toyota Highlander and went to TrueCar filled out my info and they had like 6 dealers from up to 100 miles way give me prices. All were about the same, form 38K down to 35K, all saying that's their best. One dealer said he would do 32K plus a LIFETIME warranty on the drivetrain, plus he weould deliver the car to me. All the other dealers contacted me back asking how thir price was, I said the same to them all " You're WAY too high compared to the dealer giving me 32K, plus plus. They all said if they met that offer would I buy from them?

They're all scum bags and if you treat them like scum bags you won't get your feelings hurt.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after shopping for months for what I wanted I bought mine from a "fixed" price dealer it was actually right in my price range and pretty much exactly what I wanted, I was pre financed and it was a easy peasy deal. they did try to get me to use there financing but I just declined, flew in drove it home.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we got used dealers here that set a price on the net mind you, then they go and add 1500 to the price as their sales commission, and they wont budge off any thing on a over priced car. thy claim its inspection fee's. ******** i say.

a friend went and got a car from one of these places actually got the price down some. added a warranty to the financing and when he got his paper work that 1500 was magically in the total price. they said the warranty cost more, well why dont ya make a phone call to let me know???

i guess they figure people wont make a big deal out of it, or maybe not notice, but he flipped his lid, went there with his paper work that clearly dont match theirs, told them to write him a check right now or hes calling the police and bringing them up on fraud charges today!!!!!

they wrote that check in minutes.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep Politics out of this thread or it will be locked.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact of the matter still remains that dealer consolidation of the 2008 era has hurt buyers and made it more of a sellers market. Everyone knows what happened at that time period.

davidz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used to enjoy the art of haggling at one point in my life, but as time gets short a painless process get more and more attractive. My last purchase a few weeks ago was all done via text and phone after a trucar inquiry. I found that when you are ready to buy, multiple dealers will negotiate pretty aggressively to get you into the door. At least in my case they realized that truecar will blast potential buyer contact info to a number of local dealers. After a flurry of texts and calls from multiple dealers, i agreed on price via phone on a honda ridgeline, asked them to prep the vehicle and paperwork on same day. After a brief inspection, wrapped up the deal and left happy. I might have saved a few hundred with some more haggling, but honestly i was happy to give the delaer a little extra profit for making the process easy for me.

Before that, i used costco for my suburbanand that turned out to be better that i could get through traditional haggling. In this case, I had very specific color/option requirements which was not common and hurt getting a decent deal through negotiation.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact of the matter still remains that dealer consolidation of the 2008 era has hurt buyers and made it more of a sellers market. Everyone knows what happened at that time period.
One thing that happened was the internet, and now any buyer who wants to be can be fully informed on the car, the price, and the financing and never set foot in the dealership other than to close the transaction, and maybe not even then.

I think dealers are smart to embrace that change. They become order takers, move to a no-haggle culture where they know they will make less money on the average deal but can get through 30% more deals each month.