This ACdelco Engine air filter with 27,500 miles, 4 years old..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can't say I've ever seen it and we leave filters in for life some times haha. they get hard to find, some are $100s. we just blow them out and throw them back in till they cause trouble. can't save I've ever seen one where the paper for brittle.

I get it, it's long over due. I am bad about mine too. unless it's a performance application, I hardly ever think about the filter. my 2014 volt has the oem filter it in, I should probably check that thing huh. lol

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So, I hope you know when you blow out the filter, you open up the filtering element passages bigger and that allows larger debris to pass thru and down thru the throttle body and in to that engine.

I gotta say that I want you no where near my engine assembly.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I hope you know when you blow out the filter, you open up the filtering element passages bigger and that allows larger debris to pass thru and down thru the throttle body and in to that engine.

I gotta say that I want you no where near my engine assembly.

haha common practice in the industry long before I got here. if I started changing filters all the time I'd get budget questions. they track every penny these days.

makes sense thou, I get it. but we don't have engine failures, the eq times out and gets replaced when. corporate desides.

in the oil samples I've sent out, I don't see any signs of silicone or wear.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note to self, after four years, replace air and cabin filters. The Tahoe is still a "new car" to me, but it's not.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That filter went 27,531 miles and did it's job. It also depends on where you are driving and what is in the air. You live near a farming community and drive those roads all the time, there is more debris in the air. IMO, if you still see light thru it, it is doing what it is supposed to do but you don't want to keep driving it till you cannot see any light.

Oil is blood to the engine, use the best and the best filter to keep that oil clean.
Fuel runs thru the injectors and needs a good spray pattern and great ignition to create as clean of power as it can.
Coolant helps keep that hot engine as cool as it can and carries that heat away at that radiator. Give the coolant a chance with a proper radiator.
Air mixes with that fuel and that stoichiometric ratio is important to the running of your engine, so use a good filter, but IMO, that is not a K&N.

So, that old air filter did it's job and did nothing wrong. NOW!.....apologize to that filter.
the paper filter was primed ready to grenade into confetti

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
the paper filter was primed ready to grenade into confetti
That is what happens when you leave a filter in for 50 months and expect it to protect like it did when new. I honestly can't understand how anyone can say the filter let anyone down when installed that long. We are talking 2 months longer than 4 years of college. C'mon man....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1692617609371.png

The first one, though it was in the longest, wasn't too bad. The second was filthy as we had done some country driving and off-roading even though the mileage and hours was half. The last one looked almost new but we replaced it anyway.

@BG1988 Brent, do the cabin filter mod, you won't regret it. 22759208 or Dorman 259-100. Carbon filters are 23101674/CF193C or Dorman 259-001.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually I'm not big on his test results, I shouldn't say results as much as the ones he chooses to test. but this one seems interesting. I do wonder how flower compares to sand and dust real world.

like everything it seems buy based on your application. mine never leaves paved roads, the inside of the box stays clean and the filter looks new. it was in there when I got it, so no clue of the age. oil sample came back good, so if I had to guess from this video I could go with the k&n and see no bad effects. if I lived in area where I'd drive down fine dusty dirt roads all the time, I'd probably want a more restrictive filter.

maybe even an aftermarket setup with a pre-filter type like the off road guys run. anyone seen any tests of the Donaldson power core filters?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019