This ACdelco Engine air filter with 27,500 miles, 4 years old..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the one that Project Farm on YouTube tested and won.

yeah the filters were installed upside down that is not how it's installed into a vehicle..

the one tested was the oilbased cotton one, which worked very well in my impala which had powdered dirt caked on it when i cleaned it.. with about 15k-20k miles

The ac delco had no dirt caked on... so was it even filtering?

he should have used an actual nbs air box to test it with those NBS air boxes have a pressure flow meter as well

i cleaned my airbox before reinstalling it so we can have a baseline i'll check it in 4,000 miles and report back

i do wonder if the air box was clean every time it was changed with the flour test4erfdewerfd.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually I'm not big on his test results, I shouldn't say results as much as the ones he chooses to test. but this one seems interesting. I do wonder how flower compares to sand and dust real world.

like everything it seems buy based on your application. mine never leaves paved roads, the inside of the box stays clean and the filter looks new. it was in there when I got it, so no clue of the age. oil sample came back good, so if I had to guess from this video I could go with the k&n and see no bad effects. if I lived in area where I'd drive down fine dusty dirt roads all the time, I'd probably want a more restrictive filter.

maybe even an aftermarket setup with a pre-filter type like the off road guys run. anyone seen any tests of the Donaldson power core filters?
i live in the desert
my last k&N was caked on with very fine flour powdered dirt so tightly packed i had to use a screw driver to get it out

ac delco nothing on the filter...

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread reminded me to check my 2 yr old 20k mile air filter, Fram Ultra 8755A, advertized as being good for 4 yrs and/or 40k miles. It looked good so I put it back in place. I did clean the MAF sensor and throttle body since its been 4 yrs & 45k miles.
I was reminded to check the 3+ yr old Cabin air filter. It was dirty so I changed it with another Premium Guard # PC9957.
DSCN7880.JPG

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't go by a mileage or age that the filter mfr may "say it's good for"
Your conditions vary greatly.
Also, the better your fuel mileage is the longer the filter will last.
I know of no full sized suv's on this forum averaging 35 mpg, so replacing
an inexpensive air filter once a year is a no brainer

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't go by a mileage or age that the filter mfr may "say it's good for"
Your conditions vary greatly.
Also, the better your fuel mileage is the longer the filter will last.
I know of no full sized suv's on this forum averaging 35 mpg, so replacing
an inexpensive air filter once a year is a no brainer
drove it yesterday for the first time replacing the filter didn't seem sluggish like it did before got some air in the tires as well

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
drove it yesterday for the first time replacing the filter didn't seem sluggish like it did before got some air in the tires as well
I am begging you to punctuate. Had to read this 3 times to get it straight in my head. But, I am glad that the new filter made a difference.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air filters and proper tire inflation are HUGE when in comes to MPG
If even 50% of drivers really paid attention to these we'd prob save
tons of energy every day !!!!!!
Plus your engine is happier and your tires last longer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan