There are just some days I wish I didn't turn wrenches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Turns out that this TIPM or better known as fuse block, is a well known weak spot on many MOPAR vehicles over many years. Listed but out of stock at RA and not even listed at Parts Geek. I did find it at MOPAR Parts for $334.48 instead of the normal $497.00. My shop owner friend says he has to replace these on a regular basis and has done about 20 of them in the 1 year the shop has been open. The symptoms match up with some of what she said was going on and that I could not communicate with the code puller. I have pulled codes on this vehicle before when she had a leaking oil cooler assembly and it set a code for low oil pressure.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Turns out that this TIPM or better known as fuse block, is a well known weak spot on many MOPAR vehicles over many years. Listed but out of stock at RA and not even listed at Parts Geek. I did find it at MOPAR Parts for $334.48 instead of the normal $497.00. My shop owner friend says he has to replace these on a regular basis and has done about 20 of them in the 1 year the shop has been open. The symptoms match up with some of what she said was going on and that I could not communicate with the code puller. I have pulled codes on this vehicle before when she had a leaking oil cooler assembly and it set a code for low oil pressure.

The first two characters of the initialism "TIPM" do not bode well for vehicle electronics. "Totally Integrated" likely means no repair, just replacement. :mad:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They brought the TIPM to market late MY2004... And it has not worked right since.

I would have thought NHTSA would have gotten involved on it, and made a mandatory recall, since it can affect if the AirBag works, the brakes work, and the Power Steering work...

But it is still in production. One of the reasons I wont buy a Stellantis product.

Edit: It looks like certain TIPM modules have been recalled, you would have to go to NHTSA.gov and see if this VIN is affected by one thou.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
They brought the TIPM to market late MY2004... And it has not worked right since.

I would have thought NHTSA would have gotten involved on it, and made a mandatory recall, since it can affect if the AirBag works, the brakes work, and the Power Steering work...

But it is still in production. One of the reasons I wont buy a Stellantis product.

Edit: It looks like certain TIPM modules have been recalled, you would have to go to NHTSA.gov and see if this VIN is affected by one thou.
I am at dentist right now. Will check when I get home.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My close friend, shop owner, has been in his new shop 1 year this month. In that time he has seen very similar problems, like on this Cherokee, and each time he has diagnosed as a TIPM problem and fixed them each time. In one year, he has replaced close to a dozen TIPM units. When you look up both options for the 2017 Cherokee, they are out of stock. Out of stock because so many are bad. There is a newer upgraded unit than the 2 shown at RA. Part #68264530AF

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My close friend, shop owner, has been in his new shop 1 year this month. In that time he has seen very similar problems, like on this Cherokee, and each time he has diagnosed as a TIPM problem and fixed them each time. In one year, he has replaced close to a dozen TIPM units. When you look up both options for the 2017 Cherokee, they are out of stock. Out of stock because so many are bad. There is a newer upgraded unit than the 2 shown at RA. Part #68264530AF
:popcorn: