The Family Truckster (my mod/build thread - 2012 Yukon Denali)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Foss, that's the perfect exact spot on advice I was looking for... Good call! Thanks!
Oh.... And...
That and "Class War" , classic good ole Oi! Love it

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint folks.... no new projects or parts as of yet, still saving for rims tires and exhaust... was hoping those would be all taken care of by spring so I could focus on more boost and dialed tuning and brakes...
cant save fast enough! at this point I'm considering a set of the factory denali rims just so I can get back on track with the fun stuff like the exhaust boost and tuning... ugh
side note, the longer these things take, the longer its going to be till I can start saving for my Magnacharged 6.0/6.2L + 4L80E 72' Nova project, so, the motivation is there... but the income... not so much heh. Is someone still buying testicles for like 20 grand? I thought I read that somewhere.... at this point... sign me up.

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting insanely frustrated chasing down these P0171 & P0174 codes!!!! ugh! Baby is due April 22nd, and I was hoping to have these codes ironed out and ck375s rolling underneath before then, buuuuut life doesn't care about your plans lol. Every time I think I found and corrected the issue, light comes on after a long idle! As soon as I'm a few bucks away from clicking purchase on the rims, somethings pops up! BAH!
Anywho... the codes... I've cleaned the MAF, I've checked and corrected the air intake tube for leaks, and I've sprayed countless cans of carb cleaner around anywhere a possible vac leak could live... any other ideas out there?

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would hate to see you throw parts at it but everything I am reading says that it could possibly be a fuel pump if you are having a hard start issue as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and on another note... I was speaking with one of the guys at PCMForLess (had good success wayyy back in the day with them, back 04-05 with my mp112'd silverado ss) about my plans for this truck... he's telling me to forget any plans i have for going any more than 8 lbs of boost on this motor... says he hears/sees a lot about ring lands taking a dump and the motor blowing apart???? more stuff for me to worry about and get in the way of proceeding lol
Exactly how much different is the quality of these pistons versus the old LQ9 pistons? I was running 12 lbs of boost and couldn't build a 4l60 strong enough, or find a belt tensioner strong enough... Only worry engine wise was rod bolts.... What are you guys seeing?

Last edited:

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pistons are a crap shoot some good some bad. But most go after market when it comes to pistons in the 6.2 because of the ring land situation. Gen 3 pistons are better than gen 4, but gen 4 rods are better than gen 3...

Last edited:

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So go 8 lbs and I'll be okay?

I wouldnt put so much stress on what lb of boost to be at, I'd put more emphasis in the tune.
A really good tuner would set your tables for speed density and MAf depending on which one you want. The ringland issue usually come into play once a code is thrown from the maf, then the vehicle runs on speed density. Well, if speed density isnt tuned, you would run into all sorts of issues that would cause detonation, melt a piston or lift a ringland. When adding any level of boost, its always best to get a wideband so you know for sure what happening, when its happening, that way, if your truck over throws a code, you can dig deeper into it...

Sorry if i went on a ramble lol, ive probably stated stuff you already knew, anywho, this would be good for others as well

fyi if your planning on running more than 10+ lbs, you may wany to open the ring gaps as well. stock ones are pretty tight

Last edited:

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting insanely frustrated chasing down these P0171 & P0174 codes!!!! ugh! Baby is due April 22nd, and I was hoping to have these codes ironed out and ck375s rolling underneath before then, buuuuut life doesn't care about your plans lol. Every time I think I found and corrected the issue, light comes on after a long idle! As soon as I'm a few bucks away from clicking purchase on the rims, somethings pops up! BAH!
Anywho... the codes... I've cleaned the MAF, I've checked and corrected the air intake tube for leaks, and I've sprayed countless cans of carb cleaner around anywhere a possible vac leak could live... any other ideas out there?
Did you ever get this figured out? Mine started throwing identical codes yesterday...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz