The Family Truckster (my mod/build thread - 2012 Yukon Denali)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite as fun, exciting or thrilling as my exhaust or rims goals.... But I did order the wideband kit for my aeroforce interceptor scan gauge this morning!
Basically, install that and monitor/log it at wide open throttle, make sure its close to stoich then move forward/onward and upward and FTW!!!!

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this came in the mail today... Got a little bit of work ahead of me, so that's exciting! It's no beautiful ck375s or sweet sounding shiny corsa... But it will protect my investment and give me a piece of Mind on the P0171&174 nightmare I've been living... So that's cool.
Also, found out some interesting stuff about this SCT tuner I have collecting dust that came with my magnuson tune loaded on it... I thought for sure this thing was quite worthless, like the superchips tuner that came with my old radix mp112 unit back in 04 (had one function only, to load the stock mag tune... Well 2 functions... Load the tune and place in the trash), but Anywho... I found that I can do all kinds of logging with it, even more if I piggyback my laptop, AND!!!! It actually has the capability for me to wire up 2 aux analog channels, and even create edit and enter designated formulas for said channels... For instance... This here fancy pants wideband O2 sensor! But! In true superchips & magnuson team up useless fashion.... There's a catch!!!!! Lucky me!! This catch comes in the form of how said aux analog channel is connected to the sct x4 unit.... Through the blazingly common super modern state of the art technology of a effing FIREWIRE CABLE!!!! FML.... I've traveled all throughout downriver Michigan today in search for the cable/wire equivalent of a Beta Max Player... the football bat of wires if you will ... Best Buy, no, Radio Shack (yes, they still exist), no, staples, no, Meijer, no, Sears, no... Ugh... My only flash of hope (other than ordering one online) is that I actually have a FireWire to usb cable... Which only gets me barely started Because it is only 4 wire (I need 6), so I lopped off the FireWire head and broke it down, now when I go back to work I'll try and salvage and create exactly what I need...
Any of you super awesome doods out there have an old FireWire cable laying around, that you don't want anymore?
Wish me luck! Stay tuned!

IMAG4052.jpg

The beginning of my FIREWIRE nightmare... Nothing makes sense...
IMAG4053.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just in case someone is looking to do the same combo/setup of:
- SCT Tuner (or any tuner with 5v aux analog input - i.e. HP Tuners Pro)
- Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge (or any gauge with a programmable 5v aux analog input - i.e. AEM)
- Aeroforce WideBand O2 Kit (Bosch/Innovative)
* for this setup, the logging conversion is 2*volts + 10
* this may be of some use, as it includes the necessary FireWire pinout as well.
IMAG4058_1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, had about an hour of spare time today so I took hold of the most frustrating part of the wideband controller to aeroforce gauge install... fishing the 5v reference wire from under the knee bolster through the door hinge grommet up to the inside corner of the door... would probably be a much easier task when done with the door actually off the vehicle... kicking myself in the nards for not having run an extra aux analog input lead when I did all of this before for the boost sensor... oh well... anywho, the cable is run, and now all I have to do is wire the controller, and have someone weld up the O2 bung, hopefully there is enough room just after the Y pipe meets. I took a look and it seems like theres a good spot, but will know better once the truck is up on a lift and I have more time. Stay tuned! Oh, and my second child is due to arrive next week so the clock is ticking (wish me luck)!

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I'll start with the good news! If you haven't seen, in a separate thread http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/autocal-for-black-bear-tune.80260/page-2 , I snagged a discounted AutoCal EFI Live unit, saving me around $125ish on my future black bear tune! (not to brag or anything...) So, now, whenever $300 becomes available (most likely post CK375s, unless I get ants in my pants), I will pull the trigger on black bear and REALLY get this party started!
And for the not so awesome news...
I caught a little time at work today to tinker with the ole family truckster... came up empty though... having one hell of a time finding 2 - 12v ign on wires under the knee bolster appropriate for wiring to the wideband controller... any suggestions???
Per the instructions I've secured a solid ground from pin 5 of the OBD2 connector, so that and the 5v ref wire to the gauge (through the door grommet/sleeve) are all set and good to go... since I do not have access to a welder and no longer have a garage with 220, I found a local shop that will bend me over to the tune of $50 to drill a hole and weld the bung, so that part is also good to go... only hold up is this pain in the ass ign 12v lead(s)...
Considering, with all this free time I don't and won't have... throwing in the towel and seeing if a local stereo shop (Car Tunes, Michigan people will know about em) will wire up or even just tap me the 12v leads... Out sourcing... not something I hardly ever do, nor will ever be proud to do... but seems like a good choice at the moment with my second son being due next Friday... just want to hurry up and make sure I'm not running lean, and dissipate this cloud over my head... resulting in one less thing to worry about....

Last edited:
OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE - WEEK FROM HELL: Welp... here it goes... knowing full well that life does not care about your plans, I still wish I could catch a break sometime soon! So, last Friday my wife had her scheduled C-Section and we took delivery of our beautiful, awesome son, 9 lbs! Wife = healthy Son = healthy (a HUGE difference from our previous delivery, where my wife went into an emergency c section, delivering our twins (boy and girl) over 3 months pre mature, causing a long grueling emotional time in the NICU - long story short, our daughter caught an infection from the hospital and passed away after a month of life, extremely tough subject for me/us. Our son is still with us and kicking major ass at catching up!)
ANYWHO... I stayed/slept at the hospital with my wife (this time only 3 days!) and we came home sometime on Monday.
Monday Night - our oldest son (mentioned above - 20 months old) came down with the flu... puke and poop EVERYWHERE...
Tuesday - triple the poop and puke, my wife and I caught his flu...
Wednesday - House of sick, trying like all hell to keep our < 1 week old son from catching it as well. My neighbor (brother in law to be, and best friend) returns my weed whacker (4 cycle, convertible $350 whacker) to my garage after having used it, explains to me that it "made a horrible noise then just quit", I popped the plug, drained the oil.... and at the same time drained a handful of pieces of carnage... possibly piston pieces, rod pieces etc etc... ugh... also, took a quick ride up to the gas station and noticed/heard my brake pad wear tabs hitting.... ugh (was hoping to stretch my current brakes till i had the money to replace them with the wilwood kits)
Thursday - was feeling slightly better than the rest of the fam, so i headed out to grab some supplies (pedialite, imodium, gatorade, crackers... the works), swung by my local go-to shop for welding and work i cant quite knock out in my own garage, and had a buddy weld up my O2 bung for the wideband, threaded it in and wallah! works great! (so far, readings look good, just need to finish wiring up the connector for logging the data...) on my way home, I was stopped at a red light, waiting patiently, happy to be bringing home stuff to help the fam feel a little better, and also very happy the wideband was working etc etc. and then...
BOOM - felt like someone punched me in the back, neck and shoulders... I got rear-ended... 21 year old girl, texting... for the most part everyone was "okay", she had double air bag deployment and her passenger went to the hospital for a minor head injury, I'm fine... however, the back of the only non human non canine thing i care about was effed up... hitch cover/panel destroyed, rear bumper cover destroyed, lift gate gouged pretty good, step pad and chrome strip - gouged and scratched pretty bad, exhaust tip slightly bent... Michigan being the only true "no fault" state, I'm responsible for my insurance deductible which is $500 I dont have lying around... the appraisal/adjuster from the insurance company comes on monday, and i am far from looking forward to arguing with him or her on whats what and making EVERYTHING right...
So Now What... - As with anything in life, trying to spin this into a positive... I spoke with the insurance company today and they asked me if I wanted them to cut me the check directly, or write it out to the shop I am going to choose to do the work... I have never been in an accident before, so i guess this never even came to mind... but maybe i go that route, use the money to go for the escalade bumper swap... do the labor (minus the painting) myself... and maybe, just maybe (all depending on the appraisal quote and what the labor comes out to) I'll have enough to come close to doing the Corsa exhaust along with it and come out on top??? Fingers crossed... I'm wondering, if any of you guys know, just how much of the stock exhaust system is different and what parts/numbers are needed (between muffler and tips) from the premium escalade and the denali... like what pipe piece is needed and where the split happens, in case I cant afford the corsa just yet... wish me luck, I/we could sure use some!

"you should see the other guy!" photo...
IMAG4153.jpg

and finally... the... "if ONE more person tells me "ohhh... its not that bad!" I'm going to lose my shit" photos...

IMAG4154.jpg

IMAG4155.jpg

IMAG4156.jpg

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ahh, good ole P dubya... have you watched "The Other "F" Word"? Dunno if you have kids or not, but it actually helped a bit...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerodmortensen

Latest posts