The Falcon died...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife went to pass a doofus driving a semi who pulled out in front of her. She was half-way around him after engaging the Hyperdrive pedal when she heard a strange sound from the engine compartment. Dash lights came on, and the steering got heavy, so she decided to pull over. Fortunately, she was close enough to light speed that she was able to finish getting around the doofus and get off the road as the engine had died. I went down to check things out, and the engine wouldn't even crank over. Figured that was that. Had it towed to my mechanic, and he tried to crank it by hand, but it was a no-go. He figures it was the timing chain tensioner that let go and locked things up. At 220k, he suggested just doing a new engine rather than trying to patch this one.

Anyway, I'm looking into engines today, and I'm finding lots of different names and lots of similar part numbers. I'm guessing there are just a handful of remanufacturers that rebuild engines. My mechanic suggested going through O'Reilly Auto Parts for a replacement. He's used them for a while now and thinks they're decent. They have a 4-year warranty. Who would you guys recommend sourcing an engine from? I need to get the Falcon back on the road ASAP since it's my wife's daily driver. Thanks.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your mechanic didn’t even diagnose the trouble except to try to turn it over by the crank bolt? You do realize 220k is nothing for these engines? If it’s just the timing chain that stopped it, things might not be that bad.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the engine is seized up and can't even be turned by hand at the crank using a ratchet?
Correct.
So your mechanic didn’t even diagnose the trouble except to try to turn it over by the crank bolt? You do realize 220k is nothing for these engines? If it’s just the timing chain that stopped it, things might not be that bad.
No, he hasn't gotten into the engine, yet. He's been my mechanic for nearly 20 years, and he has done right by me the whole time; I trust that he isn't trying to take advantage of the situation.

Yes, I know these engines are good for high miles, given proper maintenance. This engine, however, isn't normal. The dealer from whom I bought the vehicle "rebuilt" the engine before I bought it from them. In actuality, they did more of a patch job than anything. Then, a couple years ago, the left head crapped a valve seat and left a smiley face on the piston for me, and I had to install a new head. While making the repair, I saw that an adjacent cylinder had a smiley face, as well, so I knew there had been problems with the engine. Just recently, the vehicle began to occasionally puff a little blue smoke at start up, so I may have some valve stem seals possibly leaking on the other head, too. Given all this and the current break down, it's probably best to just replace the engine since it's my wife's daily driver.

ETA: My mechanic is thinking that either the timing chain tensioner broke allowing the timing chain to skip and throw the top and bottom out of time, or a cam bearing spun. Just speculation at the moment until he gets into the engine.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Correct.

No, he hasn't gotten into the engine, yet. He's been my mechanic for nearly 20 years, and he has done right by me the whole time; I trust that he isn't trying to take advantage of the situation.

Yes, I know these engines are good for high miles, given proper maintenance. This engine, however, isn't normal. The dealer from whom I bought the vehicle "rebuilt" the engine before I bought it from them. In actuality, they did more of a patch job than anything. Then, a couple years ago, the left head crapped a valve seat and left a smiley face on the piston for me, and I had to install a new head. While making the repair, I saw that an adjacent cylinder had a smiley face, as well, so I knew there had been problems with the engine. Just recently, the vehicle began to occasionally puff a little blue smoke at start up, so I may have some valve stem seals possibly leaking on the other head, too. Given all this and the current break down, it's probably best to just replace the engine since it's my wife's daily driver.

ETA: My mechanic is thinking that either the timing chain tensioner broke allowing the timing chain to skip and throw the top and bottom out of time, or a cam bearing spun. Just speculation at the moment until he gets into the engine.

Makes sense,. Autoparts stores sell rebuilt engines, stick to an oem engine from GM.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you know you want an L9H, they put them in the pickups too from 2009 through 2013.

Most mechanics want to replace engines rather than rebuild them, saves time and money; their money, not yours. Having said that, after all that yours has been through, and if time is an issue, I would replace it as well.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense. Unfortunately I have no recommendation on who to buy an engine from. Hoping for the best for you.
Thanks

Makes sense,. Autoparts stores sell rebuilt engines, stick to an oem engine from GM.
My mechanic and I discussed this more last night, and I decided to go with a GM engine for the national warranty. That way, if we have a problem on the road somewhere, we can just find a GM dealer.

Well, you know you want an L9H, they put them in the pickups too from 2009 through 2013.

Most mechanics want to replace engines rather than rebuild them, saves time and money; their money, not yours. Having said that, after all that yours has been through, and if time is an issue, I would replace it as well.
Yes, the L9H is why we bought a Yukon XL this old. No DOD and 400HP. At the time, this was about the only thing around, and we got it for a decent enough price to be able to justify engine/tranny replacement and not get burned. (Not too much, anyway.) I'm glad this didn't happen when we took our kids to Medieval Times in L.A. earlier this year. It would have really sucked to have the Falcon towed back home from there.

So, now I'm in search of a GM engine, probably from one of the online places that hopefully would be cheaper than my local dealers. Some place that won't bend me over a barrel and Lucille me on price and freight. Any suggestions in that regard?

Thanks for the replies.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, now I'm in search of a GM engine, probably from one of the online places that hopefully would be cheaper than my local dealers. Some place that won't bend me over a barrel and Lucille me on price and freight. Any suggestions in that regard?

Thanks for the replies.
My brain is wired to build my own. I did see new bare blocks at Jegs and plenty of used engines on ebay from wrecked trucks.

I did see this ad: https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19432424.html

Swap out the car camshaft for a truck cam and call it good.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brain is wired to build my own. I did see new bare blocks at Jegs and plenty of used engines on ebay from wrecked trucks.

I did see this ad: https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19432424.html

Swap out the car camshaft for a truck cam and call it good.
I prefer to do my own work, as well, but, as a shade tree mechanic without the shade tree, I have limits to what I can do. I'd love nothing more than to rebuild this engine and put my own touch to it, but I need to get the wife's car back on the road ASAP. I'd also prefer to have a warranty, for what they're worth.

Thanks for the link. I'll check them out and see what's available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep