The Falcon died...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I actually found a L9H GM rebuilt engine (Part #19432623). Called a couple different dealers, and one found an engine back east. There are only nine (9) of these engines in the entire country (according to the parts guy), and all of them are customer orders waiting for pickup or install. The second dealer I called happened to find an order that had just been canceled, so he put my name on it, and I drove down that day and paid for it so I didn't lose it.

I was beginning to get a little worried about finding one, but it worked out. Now, I need to start sourcing the parts I need for the install.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to get into the old engine to find out what happened to cause it to seize. I also want to see if the chinese Delco knockoff spark plugs caused any damage in the combustion chambers as they melted down. I still can't believe it was running as well as it was considering all the plugs had ~1/2" gap. I wanted to keep the old engine for a build, but GM has $2,500 core charge that kills that idea.

I'm thinking of doing a 4-corner steam kit (or whatever it's called) to help eliminate any of the hot spots I've read about. With the heat we have here (we just got out of a long heat wave where the temps were over 107 for weeks with the highs hitting at or near 114 for several days) and the climb into the hills every afternoon, I thought the steam kit might be a good idea. The vehicle has 220k miles on it, and I would like to do some other things while the engine is out. Do you guys have any other suggestions for things I can do for durability and performance that won't void the GM 3yr/100k mi warranty?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to get into the old engine to find out what happened to cause it to seize. I also want to see if the chinese Delco knockoff spark plugs caused any damage in the combustion chambers as they melted down. I still can't believe it was running as well as it was considering all the plugs had ~1/2" gap. I wanted to keep the old engine for a build, but GM has $2,500 core charge that kills that idea.

I'm thinking of doing a 4-corner steam kit (or whatever it's called) to help eliminate any of the hot spots I've read about. With the heat we have here (we just got out of a long heat wave where the temps were over 107 for weeks with the highs hitting at or near 114 for several days) and the climb into the hills every afternoon, I thought the steam kit might be a good idea. The vehicle has 220k miles on it, and I would like to do some other things while the engine is out. Do you guys have any other suggestions for things I can do for durability and performance that won't void the GM 3yr/100k mi warranty?
Coolant tees at the firewall for sure, along with the heater hoses. New engine mounts, both the transmission and oil cooler lines, power steering pressure hose, and you might consider replacing the radiator, hoses and electric fans to have a whole new cooling system at the same time.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant tees at the firewall for sure, along with the heater hoses. New engine mounts, both the transmission and oil cooler lines, power steering pressure hose, and you might consider replacing the radiator, hoses and electric fans to have a whole new cooling system at the same time.

I've replaced the coolant tees, radiator, and electric fan assembly within the last 2-3 years. Do you think they're okay, or should I go ahead and replace them again with the new engine? I have the transmission and engine oil cooler lines that I haven't installed yet, so I'm good there. I figured all the hoses should be replaced. Should I use the hydraulic mounts for the Yukon or the Hummer H3 all rubber mounts?

Thanks for all the suggestions, Geotrash.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, hydraulic. Also, now would be a good time to do the "Big 3", in addition to chasing down any grounds and cleaning/replacing them. Other things you might do, not related to the engine bay, include silicone lubricant on the windows. This will make them raise/lower more smoothly, and use less power. Replacing the intermediate shaft bearing (don't quote me on that!) that makes for a smoother steering experience. Examine all the belts and belt tensioners -- replace any suspect ones. If you haven't recently replaced the radiator, flushing the radiator might be a good idea. Fuel lines, evap lines, etc. Check and replace the spare. Clean all lights if they are all foggy. Check your suspension components for play, replace as necessary. Now would be a good time for a big brake upgrade, and/or a hydro boost conversion...

That's all I can think of at the moment. I mean, if you really want to go crazy, you can replace all the blend doors.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sonnax torque converter?
Can you tell me about it? I don't have any plans to tow with the Yukon since I already have a Sierra with the Duramax engine for towing. The Yukon has 220k miles, and I have no idea if the transmission has been worked on or replaced. I do know downshifting with T/H mode 3-2 hits pretty hard most of the time. With 40k miles on it since we bought it, the fluid is still red and smells like fairly fresh dexron. Is the torque converter something to do now, or would it be better to wait until I replace the trans? Thanks, swathdiver.

IMO, hydraulic. Also, now would be a good time to do the "Big 3", in addition to chasing down any grounds and cleaning/replacing them. Other things you might do, not related to the engine bay, include silicone lubricant on the windows. This will make them raise/lower more smoothly, and use less power. Replacing the intermediate shaft bearing (don't quote me on that!) that makes for a smoother steering experience. Examine all the belts and belt tensioners -- replace any suspect ones. If you haven't recently replaced the radiator, flushing the radiator might be a good idea. Fuel lines, evap lines, etc. Check and replace the spare. Clean all lights if they are all foggy. Check your suspension components for play, replace as necessary. Now would be a good time for a big brake upgrade, and/or a hydro boost conversion...

That's all I can think of at the moment. I mean, if you really want to go crazy, you can replace all the blend doors.
I was leaning to the H3 motor mount since I've read about a lot of failures of the hydraulic units. What's your experience been with the hydraulic mounts? What are the "Big 3"? Thanks for all the other suggestions; I'll be addressing those I haven't already done in the future as I want to focus on the engine and its peripheral parts right now. Thanks, S33k3r.

hummer mount for the drivers side for sure, the fluid filled ones are a nuisance and will break, leak fluid out. just a matter of time.
So it's just the driver's side mount that is being replaced with the H3 mount? I've wondered about the swap because I've read about increased engine vibration due to the solid rubber of the H3 mount. Is the increase in vibration significant? Thanks, Doubeleive.

Assuming you have the 6L80 trans?
I installed a Precision of New Hampton tc, # P4646, 4 yrs and 50k miles ago when I had my tranny etc out to do a rear main seal job. $218 locally and no regrets. I've done 2 used trans fluid analysis since then and everything was good.
https://gopnh.com/

He's the link: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...7-yukon-denali-6-2.108334/page-3#post-1293118
Yes, 6L80. As I asked swathdiver above, is this something to do now, or should I wait until I replace the transmission? The transmission is a big question mark since I know nothing about it other than the T/H mode 3-2 downshift hits pretty hard most of the time, and the fluid looks pretty good with the 40k miles we've put on it. Thanks, donjetman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout