The Case for the Tech-2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well looks like gds2 support starts with the HHR in 2008 (europe) only, all other previous vehicles are tech2 or tech2win only, good news it does work with the newer vehicles just not any suv's as of 2013, they started adding in more vehicles in 2010 but no suvs/pickups, some s10's and colorado's

gds1.JPG

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also found a little info tech2win does not perform all of the functions of a tech2, but no details, also found info saying gds2 does not work with any 2017 vehicles, so maybe they changed the platform in 2017?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it installed and apparently working, note it was a pia since tech2win requires a license and it's not cheap $55 for 3 days, $500+ for a year, so I figured the included software with the vxdiag was hacked already, however now I am not sure since it took several tries, different versions I downloaded including a patch file and a couple more tries, I ended up with version 15.***, then I ran the included software again and it updated to 33.004 and gives me 42 days even if change the date.

IMG_20190804_080932.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it installed and apparently working, note it was a pia since tech2win requires a license and it's not cheap $55 for 3 days, $500+ for a year, so I figured the included software with the vxdiag was hacked already, however now I am not sure since it took several tries, different versions I downloaded including a patch file and a couple more tries, I ended up with version 15.***, then I ran the included software again and it updated to 33.004 and gives me 42 days even if change the date.

View attachment 228109
That’s what I hate about the tis2000, it’s so confusing that it just makes me give up.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I played with it a little this morning, it works, not sure what it can't do versus a actual tech2 I'll have to Google that, it did everything I tried, honked the horn, rolled the windows up/down, opened/closed the lift gate, scanned for codes, it def does the basics
it did get a little laggy a couple times, at first I thought it had locked up but it was just being slow, not sure why but it works
IMG_20190804_085630.jpg

Last edited:

86k5heavy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And supposedly this little vxdiag device will work with a bunch of different vehicles, I only installed the software for gm, but it gave me the option for others

Being that you already owned a Tech-2 why did you buy the vxdiag and tablet? Which one would you rather have if you didn't own either one?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being that you already owned a Tech-2 why did you buy the vxdiag and tablet? Which one would you rather have if you didn't own either one?
I bought it basically just to try it out for one, the touchscreen function is nice and it has a dedicated power source so it doesn't reboot when you shut-off and restart the vehicle which the clone will do if you do not have a external 12v power supply attached which really doesn't matter unless you are trying to do a couple of specific test's like a evap test. I also bought it because it can do GDS2 functions for a future vehicle that I want to purchase. As for my preference probably the physical tech2 unit because it's more hardware based, but I haven't really messed with the tablet much yet, there are supposed to be somethings the tech2win software cannot do versus the tech2 but I haven't found out what those functions are yet

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m interested if you can find a way to do that. I didn’t see that option for my 02 but it might have just been me not the Tech 2.

@Rocketman and @gooffeyguy

Might not be an option for the ’02, but here’s where I found the HVAC actuator recalibrate for my ’04.

Set up the Tech 2 with your specific vehicle info and get to this menu:

Powertrain
Body
Chassis
Diag Circuit … (can’t read the rest of my writing – LOL)

Select BODY on that menu

Select your RADIO (not sure why it has to go through this but it is what it is.) I stopped here first time through thinking it was a dead end, but gave it a try on the next pass. I have an aftermarket radio so I just picked whatever one was close to the factory one that was in it originally.

Select HVAC SYSTEM

Select BODY

Select Heat & Air

Select SPECIAL FUNCTIONS

Select HVAC ACTIVATION RECAL

I didn’t go any further than that since I don’t need a recal, but you may find yours in a similar spot on the Tech 2. YMMV. Buried, for sure.

I don't think the dash gauges can be 'swept' on my model year, at least I haven't found that yet on the Tech 2. No transmission fluid life % either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_burks