The BEST do it at home Exterior Detail job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmac572

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Massachusetts (currently in Al Kut, Iraq)
What’s up guys, newbie to the forum but I just figured id give you guys the secret to the best looking paint youve ever seen (and that includes the use of a buffer, without actually using one) Im always looking for new products but i didnt see a hole lot on the forum about detailing so here ya go...

Step 1: Wash your truck with Dawn Dishwashing soap (gets rid of any remaining old wax and oils)
Step 2: Clay bar using any automotive clay bar and lubricant, i use Meguires quick detailer (if youve never used or are affraid of trying a clay bar, its extremely easy to use, buy a kit and try it, usually about $25) if your not into doing the hole car, just do the front bumper/hood/fenders and lower side panels.
Step 3: Use "3M Perfect-it II Swirl Remover for Dark Colors" (or light colors if your truck is light) This stuff is great to use by hand... apply with a terry cloth and remove with a micro fiber towel, this is the stuff to use because unlike other swirl "removers" it actually is a REMOVER instead of a swirl "filler" which washes away with a car wash or two. This is actually a very very light abrasive which softens the edges of the swirl or scratch so it becomes less visible, use this product until your happy with the look.
Step 4: Use "Klasse all-in-one" polish, this is a sealant and contains no waxes, its completely synthetic and provides FAR more protection than any wax, and unlike wax, this will protect from UV Rays.
Step 5: Use "Klass High Gloss" sealer, this is a "top coat" for the Klasse all-in-one to provide an extremely glossy hard surface that actually makes it harder to scratch or key the paint, again, this has no waxes and is fully synthetic. using these two products can provide more than 6 months of solid protection for your paint, I do the full detail once every 4 months.

Paint is complete

Step 6 - Use "Meguires Back-to-black" on exterior plastics
Step 7 - Use "Tuf-Shine Tire sealant" this stuff is AWSOME, it can leave your tires glossy for up to 6 MONTHS, it is bar none the best tire shine on the market, if you like a dull dark black sheen for your tires use one coat, if your like glossy tires use three coats (hint: use this on your lower plastic front spoiler, but dont use it on your side steps, lol) you cant buy it in stores, you have to order it online www.tufshine.com

And your done! This entire setup contains NO Waxes, wax is a thing of the past because it really only lasts a couple of weeks before its either washed off by rain/dust/car washes or is melted/evaporated away by the hot sun, and definitely does NOT provide the same protection that the Klasse synthetic sealer will. Most of this stuff you wont be able to get in stores, you might be able to get the 3M swirl remover (make sure its the Perfect-It II, because 3M does make other swirl removers) so youll have to order it online, i get my Klasse AIO and HG kit on ebay usually, and the TufShine on their website. All of the products that are used here will cost a total of around $130.00, not bad at all considering the superb look and great protection offered. Good luck guys and if anyone tries it, let me know how it looks when your done!

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds Good! Got any Before and After Pictures? This seems to be the professional look for the home enthusiast. Thanks for sharing the info!

Tyler

road1will

pretty pretty good
Reaction score
What’s up guys, newbie to the forum but I just figured id give you guys the secret to the best looking paint youve ever seen (and that includes the use of a buffer, without actually using one) Im always looking for new products but i didnt see a hole lot on the forum about detailing so here ya go...

Step 1: Wash your truck with Dawn Dishwashing soap (gets rid of any remaining old wax and oils)
Step 2: Clay bar using any automotive clay bar and lubricant, i use Meguires quick detailer (if youve never used or are affraid of trying a clay bar, its extremely easy to use, buy a kit and try it, usually about $25) if your not into doing the hole car, just do the front bumper/hood/fenders and lower side panels.
Step 3: Use "3M Perfect-it II Swirl Remover for Dark Colors" (or light colors if your truck is light) This stuff is great to use by hand... apply with a terry cloth and remove with a micro fiber towel, this is the stuff to use because unlike other swirl "removers" it actually is a REMOVER instead of a swirl "filler" which washes away with a car wash or two. This is actually a very very light abrasive which softens the edges of the swirl or scratch so it becomes less visible, use this product until your happy with the look.
Step 4: Use "Klasse all-in-one" polish, this is a sealant and contains no waxes, its completely synthetic and provides FAR more protection than any wax, and unlike wax, this will protect from UV Rays.
Step 5: Use "Klass High Gloss" sealer, this is a "top coat" for the Klasse all-in-one to provide an extremely glossy hard surface that actually makes it harder to scratch or key the paint, again, this has no waxes and is fully synthetic. using these two products can provide more than 6 months of solid protection for your paint, I do the full detail once every 4 months.

Paint is complete

Step 6 - Use "Meguires Back-to-black" on exterior plastics
Step 7 - Use "Tuf-Shine Tire sealant" this stuff is AWSOME, it can leave your tires glossy for up to 6 MONTHS, it is bar none the best tire shine on the market, if you like a dull dark black sheen for your tires use one coat, if your like glossy tires use three coats (hint: use this on your lower plastic front spoiler, but dont use it on your side steps, lol) you cant buy it in stores, you have to order it online www.tufshine.com

And your done! This entire setup contains NO Waxes, wax is a thing of the past because it really only lasts a couple of weeks before its either washed off by rain/dust/car washes or is melted/evaporated away by the hot sun, and definitely does NOT provide the same protection that the Klasse synthetic sealer will. Most of this stuff you wont be able to get in stores, you might be able to get the 3M swirl remover (make sure its the Perfect-It II, because 3M does make other swirl removers) so youll have to order it online, i get my Klasse AIO and HG kit on ebay usually, and the TufShine on their website. All of the products that are used here will cost a total of around $130.00, not bad at all considering the superb look and great protection offered. Good luck guys and if anyone tries it, let me know how it looks when your done!

Did you completely miss the detailing forum?
You didnt see a whole lot on here about detailing? Considering how small this forum still is, theres quite a bit on here about detailing!

and if you think that looks good, you really need to get a PC. you'll be amazed at hte difference.

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree on the not waxing tho. If you have a good wax it'll last. I can tell the difference on my roof where it hasn't been polished and waxed and the water doesn't bead up versus the rest of my truck where the water beads. My water beads for months, but I still try to wax it every couple months and do a full detail every 6 months.

here's what I do http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257

Prepolish:

3519884441_e6300f662e.jpg

Polished liftgate (still a couple fine scratches but nothing like the webs beore:
3519996445_fcf1c88038.jpg

Last edited:

Chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
meh will not produce best looking paint ive ever seen, and all "swirl removers" i have used are abrasive and also "remove" swirls, but good process regardless

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha, tough crowd eh, sorry, should have put a disclaimer.. "what i find to be the best" i usually buy black vehicles so ive been looking for a few years and this is what i find to be the best.

I guess I'm old school. hahah Not tryna step on your toes. Yeah this is my first dark colored vehicle. My first car was white, second silver so it was easy to hide the dirt now, man I hate it in the morning I have the dew on my truck and it runs on my drive to work.

OP
OP
J

jmac572

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Massachusetts (currently in Al Kut, Iraq)
Did you completely miss the detailing forum?
You didnt see a whole lot on here about detailing? Considering how small this forum still is, theres quite a bit on here about detailing!

and if you think that looks good, you really need to get a PC. you'll be amazed at hte difference.

yea, sorry, i did a search for a few things then went directly to the "exterior" section... how easy is it to screw up your paint with a PC, I sent my last car into a detail shop and it looked awsome for about a week, after that it was beyond swirl marks, the guy actually damaged the paint and i said ill never let a buffer touch one of my cars again.

BTW, out of that entire write up, the best part of that, i have to say, is that tire wet "tuf-shine" stuff, u guys should check that out, its awsome.

Last edited:

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good write up, go for wax post polish or paint sealer bc it will no doubt protect your paint from the bombardment of elements

BOSS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10