Thanks, previous owner.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to address one of the more annoying things the previous owner of my Yukon did.

I guess in the interest of looking "cool' on a budget, the previous owner, or likely the previous owners children, took a can of Krylon to my exterior light lenses to black them out. It....didn't work. It looks awful, and is cracking. Looks like they may have also tried to do the corner reflectors on the headlamp assemblies, too, and drove it before it was dry (!!!). They got the taillights too. Ugh.

I'm working on a pretty tight budget these days, and I'd prefer to not have to buy new lenses if I can avoid it. I'm just not sure how on Earth to get this garbage off without ruining the lenses if they aren't already toast.

Any ideas on something safe to try?6d8e1473bce8fc8d16d30437f2f9e2b0.jpg79facdf94623cbc5bdafd1c346ed0abd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Slronhill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not a solution that you asked for but you can have my OEM tail lights if you want, I have no use of them since I'll be putting new ones on.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm if i recall there should be an autobody plastic safe paint stripper available. also try some maguires plastic x with some eldow grease for the tails. i also recall its either brake fluid or transmission fluid if you leave it on cheap paint for model cars it does a good job. last suggestion as it can be a little more aggressive brake parts cleaner does a great job at stripping paint and is less aggressive than a product like zep chemical paint stripper. im unsure what brake parts cleaner will do to plastic so if you try that leave it on just long enough to see the paint to bubble and wipe it off immediately. also after your done i suggest using some armorall protectant on it as some of these options may dry the plastic out and you want to get something back on it.

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this will work for your application but figured I would share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are awesome! Thank you for a the suggestions and info!

@Tonyrodz I'll be in touch - with the blackout tint on my windows, I like those too and they'll look great on my truck, I think. Until PSP decides to pull me over to complain about the tint. Then they'll still look great. :) The taillights are not recoverable IMO, given the oxide coating on the lenses, not just the "blackout" the previous owner applied. Seen it before.

Before my father became unable physically to do so, we had a nice little weekend business detailing luxury and exotic cars. I've seen and driven some interesting vehicles - a few years ago I was behind the wheel of a LaForza (unsure of the capitalization on that - an Italian coachbuilt body on a Ford Bronco frame with a 302 V8). Lamborghinis, Ferraris, AMG Mercs and BMW Ms, Bentleys, you name it. I did try Meguires Plast-X, or Plastic X; whichever they call it nowadays, and the paint kinda laughed at it and didn't budge. I'll give the bodyshop chemical solutions a shot, maybe something more aggressive will help with the marker/DRL lenses.

Again thank you for all the tips and info!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the front lenses can be picked up brand new on rockauto for both sides shipped for 21.85 to my house. i know you mentioned cost but 20 bucks for brand new isnt bad.

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the front lenses can be picked up brand new on rockauto for both sides shipped for 21.85 to my house. i know you mentioned cost but 20 bucks for brand new isnt bad.
No, it absolutely isn't! I hadn't done much looking, frankly. When I had the misfortune of replacing the headlamp buckets in my last car they were $100+. Per side. :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods