Tech 2 "stand alone" for diagnostic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading through all of the the posts I can find about Tech 2 (many people from this forum have suggested buying a Tech 2 to help find potential cause(s) of random Tahoe misfires, dreaded stabilitrak/intermittent CE light etc - won't bore you with issues), but need clarification if anything else needed with Tech 2 device. Reason being, upon my suggestion, my husband spoke with his mechanic friend (who ran a few preliminary tests to track down the cause of issues) to see if we could borrow a Tech 2 and his friend said that it was too costly so he didn't have one. Like in the $1000s??? Is there other equipment or computer programs etc that mechanics usually have alongside the Tech 2 unit that an average Tahoe owner wouldn't? To be clear, this guy is very experienced and has worked on many GM vehicles, so not sure what's up. From what I've read here, should be less than $300. Am I missing something here? I will buy one if that's all it costs, then read all your posts or YouTube videos to learn how to use it myself!

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will chime in with limited knowledge - I have a Tech2 knock off, as many forum members have, that cost in the neighborhood of $350. Additionally, I subscribed to the GM portal as an accompaniment to the device for $40 for 2 years. My understanding is the device will support Tahoe/Yukons through 2013. I have used mine in limited capacity so not a lot of experience yet with mine but knew I wanted one for troubleshooting my 2013 SSV.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tech 2 (a true original licensed version) will run anywhere from 600+ depending on what it all comes with, who is selling it and what avenue it is being sold in (local auction, ebay, facebook marketplace, etc.). The ones you have heard about that are $350 or even just below $300 are Chinese knockoff (clones). But who cares...they work! Ive had my clone now for about 5 years now and it has paid for itself many many times in avoiding misdiagnosing, buying unneeded parts and not wasting my time chasing my own tail. I own (2) Tahoes and (1) Yukon Denali presently and that tech 2 has been hooked up to all of them and used to diagnose problems of all kinds on all of them. It truly is a lifesaver not mention a stealership robbing you of your $$ saver! The real magic is that the tech 2 will hookup to ANY GM OBD2 vehicle. Cars, trucks, heavy trucks(bigger than 1 ton), cadillac, chevy, GMC, Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac, you name it. They are very easy to use and will do everything from repgramming the security code on your radio, trobleshoot your heating and a/c system, diagnose a stereo amplifier problem (bose system), automated brake system bleeds using the ABS system pump so no more one man in the vehicle pumping brakes while another is cracking the bleeder loose! You think you have fuel injector problems? Simple. Turn injector off while engine is running and when you find one that you had turned off that deosnt seem to make a difference in the engine running then you found your problem child. It takes awhile to get them since they are shipped from china. I got mine on aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...38&SearchText=tech+2&spm=a2g0o.home.1000002.0
Get one! You wont regret it! The one with the hardcase costs more because of bulkiness for shipping. My set did not have hard case because I ordered it that way to save on cost and I had my own case that I retrofitted for the tech 2. The tech 2 is menu driven and easy to use. Attached is user manual link!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tech 2 (a true original licensed version) will run anywhere from 600+ depending on what it all comes with, who is selling it and whe avenue it is being sold in (local auction, ebay, facebook marketplace, etc.). The ones you have heard about that are $350 or even just below $300 are Chinese knockoff (clones). But who cares...they work! Ive had my clone now for about 5 years now and it has paid for itself many many times in avoiding misdiagnosing, buying unneeded parts and not wasting my time chasing my own tail. I own (2) Tahoes and (1) Yukon Denali presently and that tech 2 has been hooked up to all of them and used to diagnose problems of all kinds on all of them. It truly is a lifesaver not mention a stealership robbing you of your $$ saver! The real magic is that the tech 2 will hookup to ANY GM OBD2 vehicle. Cars, trucks, heavy trucks(bigger than 1 ton), cadillac, chevy, GMC, Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac, you name it. They are very easy to use and will do everything from repgramming the security code on your radio, trobleshoot your heating and a/c system, diagnose a stereo amplifier problem (bose system), automated brake system bleeds using the ABS system pump so no more one man in the vehicle pumping brakes while another is cracking the bleeder loose! You think you have fuel injector problems? Simple. Turn injector off while engine is running and when you find one that you had turned off that deosnt seem to make a difference in the engine running then you found your problem child. It takes awhile to get them since they are shipped from china. I got mine on aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...38&SearchText=tech+2&spm=a2g0o.home.1000002.0
Get one! You wont regret it! The one with the hardcase costs more because of bulkiness for shipping. My set did not have hard case because I ordered it that way to save on cost and I had my own case that I retrofitted for the tech 2. The tech 2 is menu driven and easy to use. Attached is user manual link!

Thanks for the info! So sounds like even if the mechanic was to buy a "real" one, it's not gonna break the bank. I think he has other financial issues going on, so maybe HE can't afford it. I'll do my research and see if the hubby wants to invest. If he doesn't, we were going to just take it to a dealer and have them run the diagnostic, but for the same money we can probably buy one of those knock offs.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just buy one, a knock-off from China. You will have already paid for most of it, if not all of it, with the 1 trip to the dealer.

The Tech 2 is a standalone unit, unless you want to program a specific module. As stated above from @rockola1971 the standalone Tech 2 will provide you with just about all of the diagnostic info from your truck that you will ever need. You can also use it while driving to monitor any area of the truck's electronic systems, to see what they are doing (or not doing) in real time.

If you need to program a new module, when you would have to connect the Tech 2 to a PC (passthrough only, with no required software installation on the PC) to get the code from GM with which to program a module.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! So sounds like even if the mechanic was to buy a "real" one, it's not gonna break the bank. I think he has other financial issues going on, so maybe HE can't afford it. I'll do my research and see if the hubby wants to invest. If he doesn't, we were going to just take it to a dealer and have them run the diagnostic, but for the same money we can probably buy one of those knock offs.
The Tech-2 will pay for itself after the first repair or two. Make sure it comes with the CanDi module and 33.004 software and all the little adapters for self-diagnostics and alternate ways of powering it up.

Down the road, if you want or have to program modules, you'll need a serial port to USB adapter. I use the Keyspan Lite but there is a less expensive one that is also plug and play.

OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tech 2 (a true original licensed version) will run anywhere from 600+ depending on what it all comes with, who is selling it and what avenue it is being sold in (local auction, ebay, facebook marketplace, etc.). The ones you have heard about that are $350 or even just below $300 are Chinese knockoff (clones). But who cares...they work! Ive had my clone now for about 5 years now and it has paid for itself many many times in avoiding misdiagnosing, buying unneeded parts and not wasting my time chasing my own tail. I own (2) Tahoes and (1) Yukon Denali presently and that tech 2 has been hooked up to all of them and used to diagnose problems of all kinds on all of them. It truly is a lifesaver not mention a stealership robbing you of your $$ saver! The real magic is that the tech 2 will hookup to ANY GM OBD2 vehicle. Cars, trucks, heavy trucks(bigger than 1 ton), cadillac, chevy, GMC, Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac, you name it. They are very easy to use and will do everything from repgramming the security code on your radio, trobleshoot your heating and a/c system, diagnose a stereo amplifier problem (bose system), automated brake system bleeds using the ABS system pump so no more one man in the vehicle pumping brakes while another is cracking the bleeder loose! You think you have fuel injector problems? Simple. Turn injector off while engine is running and when you find one that you had turned off that deosnt seem to make a difference in the engine running then you found your problem child. It takes awhile to get them since they are shipped from china. I got mine on aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...38&SearchText=tech+2&spm=a2g0o.home.1000002.0

That link brings up a page with a bunch of items. Can you specify which one is the correct item? Ty!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That link brings up a page with a bunch of items. Can you specify which one is the correct item? Ty!
This is the type of setup I have. Make sure you click on the GM Card when you order. They seem to have decent sales feedback and it ships DHL so should get to you in about 2 weeks.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the type of setup I have. Make sure you click on the GM Card when you order. They seem to have decent sales feedback and it ships DHL so should get to you in about 2 weeks.
I bought mine from AliExpress as well-got the hardcase for my purchase.