Tech 2 "stand alone" for diagnostic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A real Tech 2 will cost in the thousands to buy all the parts. The China knockoff Tech 2 will NOT hold up in a real shop environment where it is used every day and would therefore be a waste of money for a professional. For home use where it might get used once every few months, it will hold up fine. Most aftermarket shops will invest in a high end aftermarket scanner because it would cost a fortune to buy every manufacturer’s genuine scan tools plus all the subscriptions to make them work. Most aftermarket shops also don’t specialize in one brand, if you want specialized you go to the dealer.

OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A real Tech 2 will cost in the thousands to buy all the parts. The China knockoff Tech 2 will NOT hold up in a real shop environment where it is used every day and would therefore be a waste of money for a professional. For home use where it might get used once every few months, it will hold up fine. Most aftermarket shops will invest in a high end aftermarket scanner because it would cost a fortune to buy every manufacturer’s genuine scan tools plus all the subscriptions to make them work. Most aftermarket shops also don’t specialize in one brand, if you want specialized you go to the dealer.
That is probably the deal with the mechanic. Thanks for the info. That's what I was kinda thinking...apples to oranges

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What makes you think that the knockoff doesnt hold up in a shop scenario? You know that true Tech II's are made in CHINA right? Odds are the parts for the clones are sourced from the same place the originals come from. U.S. patents arent any good in a communist country. How do think the clone manufacturer got ahold of all the software, specs, part dimensions and specs among other things? Manufacturer's son, brother, buddy or whatever probably worked at the factory that makes the real deal. Thats how they do "business" over there, even the shadiest of business.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes you think that the knockoff doesnt hold up in a shop scenario? You know that true Tech II's are made in CHINA right? Odds are the parts for the clones are sourced from the same place the originals come from. U.S. patents arent any good in a communist country. How do think the clone manufacturer got ahold of all the software, specs, part dimensions and specs among other things? Manufacturer's son, brother, buddy or whatever probably worked at the factory that makes the real deal. Thats how they do "business" over there, even the shadiest of business.
1655320137091.png

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, just because something is made in China doesn’t mean it is crap quality and second, the real Tech 2 is made in the USA. The real Tech 2 also weights about twice as much as the clone.

Attachments

• 76BB1C94-9581-4574-9537-59F0719A1A78.jpeg
    76BB1C94-9581-4574-9537-59F0719A1A78.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 10

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made in the USA with Foreign and Domestic parts... So not entirely accurate. The USA part could be them throwing stickers on it, the rest came from China. And those stickers could also be possibly made in china. As long as some assembly happened in the USA, they can say that. And it also kept the GM union happy.

I recently bought a Tech2 Clone from Canada used. Who knows where it came from originally. I used it just last night to recalibrate my HVAC. I used it when I replaced the head gasket, and after for a random misfire.

270 bucks well spent, although I wish I had gotten the hard case.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, just because something is made in China doesn’t mean it is crap quality and second, the real Tech 2 is made in the USA. The real Tech 2 also weights about twice as much as the clone.
More like assembled in the USA of foreign and domestic parts. Connectors, chips, boards, lcd display and even the plastic housings made in china. Not profitable enough to make such a low quantity of those type of parts in a U.S. factory....unfortunately. Or could even be a slick trick and the sticker is the only thing made in the USA.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez, people just want to argue about everything. Whatever then, I don't know anything. I haven't been using real Tech 2's for the last 15 years or anything.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez, people just want to argue about everything. Whatever then, I don't know anything. I haven't been using real Tech 2's for the last 15 years or anything.
Bosch and Vetronix shipped production offshore by around 2010. My 2017 model looks identical to one made in 2010 and even has the same sticker as yours and mine was shipped from China.

After 5 years of near daily or weekly use, I have replaced the Candi, the VCI module, numerous OBDII adapters and the main cable and the PCMCIA card with the software as well. The Real Time Clock failed in the self tests years ago but does not seem to affect the unit. Amazon reviews tell of dealerships buying the cables and adapters all the time to keep them running.

It is my belief that the Chicoms kept making them after Vetronix moved on to the MDI and MDI2. They were probably thinking, why shut down production for something when there is still a market for it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo