Tech 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
well the vcx nano's should come with both tech2win and mdi software but they are separate installs. the mdi from chinacardiags works I don't remember what I paid for mine maybe $100-150, could have been just under $100. it's been a while since I bought it.
getting it elsewhere can be pretty sketchy if you don't want a virus but if you poke around you can find it. I have spent a lot of time on the internet so my spiddey sense sometimes says nope when trying to get ahold of hacked software lol sometimes it's a dead giveaway and sometimes it's not.
file size and how many hoops you have to jump thru to get a download link can be deciding factors
there may or may not be a download link on the chinacardiags website or a reference to one, I think the info changes from time to time.
I have a VCX that I had working. I didn’t think it was so I returned it. It was user error.

So your chinacardiags mdi worked out of the box with a download from their site? Sorry for being so dense… whats with the whole additional hard drive thing?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a VCX that I had working. I didn’t think it was so I returned it. It was user error.

So your chinacardiags mdi worked out of the box with a download from their site? Sorry for being so dense… whats with the whole additional hard drive thing?
I didn't get the one with the hard drive because at the time I already had the vcx and the software, I don't think the mdi I bought even came with software. After it was all said and done I am not even sure how I made it work lol the mdi software I have installed is good till 2099 or something like that.
I think the ones with a hard drive have the software pre-installed and you just interface with a laptop or whatever.
I think the best option with chinacardiags is to buy their hard drive with all software and throw it in a old used lenovo laptop, then you have it all. but you would still need a mdi separate. they also sell a used laptop & hard drive combo but it's cheaper to buy the drive from them and ****** a used laptop off of ebay with no hard drive in it.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I didn't get the one with the hard drive because at the time I already had the vcx and the software, I don't think the mdi I bought even came with software. After it was all said and done I am not even sure how I made it work lol the mdi software I have installed is good till 2099 or something like that.
I think the ones with a hard drive have the software pre-installed and you just interface with a laptop or whatever.
I think the best option with chinacardiags is to buy their hard drive with all software and throw it in a old used lenovo laptop, then you have it all. but you would still need a mdi separate. they also sell a used laptop & hard drive combo but it's cheaper to buy the drive from them and ****** a used laptop off of ebay with no hard drive in it.
In other words I can’t download the needed programs to my dell laptop and make the MDI work…

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps but

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other words I can’t download the needed programs to my dell laptop and make the MDI work…
you can but it might take a little digging to find the software and get it to actually work
here is one write up a guy did on the cardiags website

and here are some links to the software that may or may not work, sometimes it depends on how long the link has been up
the software you want is "gds2"

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I son’t think its a power issue. It seems to be a connection issue.
My Tech-2 for the first few years saw nearly daily duty and after about 4 years I started to have to replace just about everything but the Tech-2 itself. The OBDII adapters, the cables, the PCMCIA card was the first major replacement, then the VCI Module and finally the CANDI.

I'll be getting an MDI for programming purposes for a while, won't need the GDS software until we buy a newer generation truck.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Tech-2 for the first few years saw nearly daily duty and after about 4 years I started to have to replace just about everything but the Tech-2 itself. The OBDII adapters, the cables, the PCMCIA card was the first major replacement, then the VCI Module and finally the CANDI.

I'll be getting an MDI for programming purposes for a while, won't need the GDS software until we buy a newer generation truck.
I don't use mine a lot but it still works fine 3-4 years later

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
All I can think of is that the last time this failure happened I assumed my vci was good and may have retained it and sent the new one down the road. This issue is identical to the last crash I had however the issue was repeatable on bot units with both VCI cards. I’m jyst super frustrated. I don’t abuse this stuff.

I don’t know if I want to try a new vci or just try moving to an MDI. I live having the handheld but this one isn’t even a year old and its broke.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I wish someone would make an application that would do the same thing.

For Jeeps, there is an app called jscan.
It's amazing!

It does pretty much everything i can do with a tech2, but from my cell and a wireless obd2 adapter.

Much clearer to deal with an than the tech2.
Free appndownload, and then $23 dollars to add a vehicle for the advanced features.

From what i read the creator made it in order to keep a turd of a jeep alive. :gr_grin::buffer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts