Tech 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
I bought mine off of ebay from a USA seller so I could return it easily if it didn't work., buying from a china seller is much harder to return because it's cheap for them to send it here but cost us a LOT more to send it back. they are all selling the same thing anyway

Yeah, perfect that is exactly what I was thinking. Go with US-based company in case of issues. A little more but the shipping is free.. I'm doing an order now.

Thanks

W M S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the Autel Maxisys MS908.

I've been using it on the family's small fleet of GM cars, trucks, SUVs, and cross-overs since last September.

I am a retired GM Powertrain Service engineer. I used and validated GM's scan tools: Tech 1, Tech 2, GDS, GDS2, and TECH2WIN.

The MS908 has all the functionality of the TECH2 and GDS2, including bi-directional control.

It has not failed to auto ID the vehicles I've used it on, so far.

I don't plan to do any controller programming; so, I did not choose the J2534 model.

I have already saved the purchase price, working on the oldest and most complex vehicle in the family fleet: 2004 Yukon Denali XL, with 240,000 on it.

I can't speak about other brands, but this model Autel has it all over the GM scan tools. Plus it covers Domestic, European, and Asian vehicles; the kit has the needed scan tool/diagnostic connectors.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Autel Maxisys MS908.

I've been using it on the family's small fleet of GM cars, trucks, SUVs, and cross-overs since last September.

I am a retired GM Powertrain Service engineer. I used and validated GM's scan tools: Tech 1, Tech 2, GDS, and TECH2WIN.

The MS908 has all the functionality of the TECH2 and GDS, including bi-directional control.

It has not failed to auto ID the vehicles I've used it on, so far.

I don't plan to do any controller programming; so, I did not choose the J2534 model.

I have already saved the purchase price, working on the oldest and most complex vehicle in the family fleet: 2004 Yukon Denali XL, with 240,000 on it.

I can't speak about other brands, but this model Autel has it all over the GM scan tools. Plus it covers Domestic, European, and Asian vehicles; the kit has the needed scan tool/diagnostic connectors.
ya at $2000+ and necessary yearly subscription update's it's far far beyond the range that many people want to spend, the tech2 clone is only $300 (one time cost) best bang for the buck

W M S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tech 2 wins the short money contest.

Tech 2 is great for OBD II 2013 GM cars, but GM no longer supports/issues updates.

By model year 2014 virtually all GM vehicles are serviced by using the MDI/GDS2 application. There is a subscription fee, maybe monthly - not sure for non-GM employees. I do recall, the GDS2 license needs to be renewed monthly. It was very time consuming, and off-putting; especially when I just wanted to jump on a car for a quick check. The files need to be downloaded and then installed.

For long term use and GM & non-GM OBD II support, my money is going for the Autel. After 1 year, there is an update fee; if/when you want to expand the coverage.

I can not say how good Autel's implementation of non-GM applications is, but FWIW - they have nailed the GM applications for all my family's vehicles: 2004 Denali, 2012 Equinox, 2013 Yukon, 2016 Encore, and 2019 Equinox.

Is the Autel worth 5x the cost of a clone Tech II?

I can't say for everyone; but for me it is.

BTW - The Autel covers all the GM systems - Engine, Trans, Body, Entertainment, HVAC, Traction Control, ABS, SIR, ... Not all Tech II clones are able to do that.

Last edited:

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Tech 2 wins the short money contest.

Tech 2 is great for OBD II 2013 GM cars, but GM no longer supports/issues updates.

By model year 2014 virtually all GM vehicles are serviced by using the MDI/GDS2 application. There is a subscription fee, maybe monthly - not sure for non-GM employees. I do recall, the GDS2 license needs to be renewed monthly. It was very time consuming, and off-putting; especially when I just wanted to jump on a car for a quick check. The files need to be downloaded and then installed.

For long term use and GM & non-GM OBD II support, my money is going for the Autel. After 1 year, there is an update fee; if/when you want to expand the coverage.

I can not say how good Autel's implementation of non-GM applications is, but FWIW - they have nailed the GM applications for all my family's vehicles: 2004 Denali, 2012 Equinox, 2013 Yukon, 2016 Encore, and 2019 Equinox.

Is the Autel worth 5x the cost of a clone Tech II?

I can't say for everyone; but for me it is.

BTW - The Autel covers all the GM systems - Engine, Trans, Body, Entertainment, HVAC, Traction Control, ABS, SIR, ... Not all Tech II clones are able to do that.

Im not that good with mine yet but my Tech2 clone does everything that you questioned, Used aliexpress $250 to my door fedex.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"BTW - The Autel covers all the GM systems - Engine, Trans, Body, Entertainment, HVAC, Traction Control, ABS, SIR, ... Not all Tech II clones are able to do that."

the tech2's can presuming they have the latest software, it's the tech2-win (software) that is limited function
OR at least mine does anyway, would like to have the "big dog" latest scanner but I cant justify it until the need arise's.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to program my hvac controller. Is it something I could do with the tech 2 clone?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to program my hvac controller. Is it something I could do with the tech 2 clone?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
you can but you would need to also use a laptop and pay for the access pass to tdsweb I believe it is $40 for 24 months per VIN