Taking a road trip - any ideas or recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
2010gmcyukon

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using the jack to push up the spare method never works. I had to unbolt the entire assembly--the spare was still attached--and I had to bent up that arm that's on that safety feature, just to get everything apart. It sucked.

What's the best thing to spray this cable and mechanism with while I have it pulled out?

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
What years is this design on? Mine seems to only have a T and a cable??? This doesn't look like anything I have unless I missed something.

This one isn't original to my 03. Someone cut the original because they couldn't get the spare done. I think this one came from an 05, but I'm not sure.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always carry some basic tools. I travel a lot for work and always have my jumpers and 1/2” Dewalt 20V impact gun w/ assorted sockets, plus wrench’s, pliers, fuses, and a spare set of wiper blades, etc

I left Saturday for vacation and had my left front wheel bearing fail completely as we pulled in to the beach house. Luckily, I found an honest shop 2 miles from the house and got me fixed up yesterday. The best you can do is try to prepared as much and possible.

if I am going on a extended road trip I usually will throw in a small basic tool bag with the common size mm used, duck tape, zip ties, little bit of bailing wire, flashlight, water in some form. just some basic stuff that might save me a $300 minor repair at a opportunist shop. oh and CASH I usually stuff my wallet with about a $1000 in mixed bills it's come in handy before when you get somewhere and discover the atm is down or point of sale isn't working, etc.

Wack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Danny3737
Sent you a note regarding the Stow Away. thanks

Last edited:

rrrnnn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Buy/bring a Garmin gps. Runs off satellite instead of towers.....rural areas are issues for cell signals.

And....imo its far better than silly phone app for gps.

Oh yeah baby...

View attachment 253530

You can also just download offline maps on your phone of the area you'll be driving (google maps) so that saves you from having to buy a garmin.

Your phone's GPS will work regardless of cell service.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I liked the Garmin for its simplicity, and it freed up the smartphone for my wife. The Garmin also has images of the freeway exits and the lanes you needed to be in. This itself paid for itself when travelling, especially with a trailer. We were able to travel through LA pulling a trailer without a lot of stress. One wrong exit and you can be in big doo doo!

A data plan with Google maps is better for traffic, so my wife would often peek at Google maps and I would then make a decision to detour if I felt it was necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC

Latest posts