Tahoe HID retrofit w/ Depo headlight & Lexus RX-AFS/TSX-R projectors...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is my retrofit project...this is long...lots of pics...

It was DenaiAK's retro write-up t that got me interested in a similar retro for 00-06 Tahoes...I didn't want an out-of-the-box solution. This projects ran me $500 for everything part wise. Besides the Depo headlights & the retrofit parts listed below I had to buy epoxy, silicone, & a piece of flat aluminum bar for fabbing the support brackets.

I probably overbuilt them & it took about 14 hours to do the whole project over a few weeks. I did a little work here & there when I had time but most of the delays were because of epoxy curing & silicone curing.

I started with Depo projector housings for 00-06 Tahoes & after looking around a little, asking some questions, & doing lots of Google searching I decided on a Lexus RX-AFS/TSX-R projector.

Really, before I started this job, I only knew that the Depo projector headlights fit without modifying the supports or washer fluid reservoir & the Lexus RX-AFS/TSX-R projector were not quite a deep.

Now...on with the pictures...

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Got my HID retro parts from Matt @ retrofitsource.com...

Phase I...basic projector prep & equipment info...

Here is my collection of goodies...
1x Pair: Lexus RX-AFS/TSX-R low beam projectors
1x Pair: Clear optic lenses
1x Pair: New Matsus h i ta Gen IV ballasts w/ brackets
1x Pair: Morimoto 3Five 5000K D2S bulbs
1x Pc: 9006 relay wire harness
IMAG0454.jpg

Close up shot of the opaque stock Lexus RX-AFS/TSX-R optics...
IMAG0455.jpg

Another shot of the stock optics...
IMAG0456.jpg

Stock optics removed...
IMAG0457.jpg

Clear optic lens sitting in the housing. This lens is slightly smaller in diameter & requires a compression ring to keep the lens centered & secure...
IMAG0458.jpg

Clear lens fully installed...
IMAG0459.jpg

Stock driver side Depo "donor" headlight front...
IMAG0460.jpg

Stock driver side Depo "donor" headlight back...
IMAG0461.jpg

Mounting bracket removed...
IMAG0462.jpg

The Depo projector is siliconed in place. I'll need to heat the area up with a heat gun to soften the silicone enough for safe removal. Once that is done I can start test fitting, trimming, & modding the housing to cleanly accept the Lexus RX-AFS/TSX-R low beam projector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Physh1

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phase II - Lexus Projector Install...passenger headlight...

I did NOT bake these headlights to remove the headlight lens! I did all this work from the back of the headlight. You could bake them & make access to the shroud easier & gluing easier but I chose to proceed this way.

So far I have 2.5 hours of work into this headlight...drying time not included.

Here's the Depo housing after removing the projector...
IMAG0471.jpg

Depo projector on LEFT & Lexus RX-AFS/TSX-R projector on RIGHT...
IMAG0465.jpg
IMAG0464.jpg

My collection of silicones & epoxy...
IMAG0472.jpg

The shroud in the Depo's is actually clipped onto the Depo projector so when I removed the Depo projector the shroud moved around. I used the epoxy to secure the shroud to the housing in 2 places. After I used a clear silicone fill the gaps & keep dust from getting in the housing.
IMAG0474.jpg

Here you can see a few spots I had to clearance with my Dremel to fit the Lexus RX-AFS/TSX-R projector...
IMAG0475.jpg

After a little fiddling, trimming, & lots of patience I got the Lexus RX-AFS/TSX-R projector centered in the shroud & stable. At this point I used the black silicone & used it on 5 spots to hold in in place. Once this dries & it's safer to handle I'll fill the rest of the gaps & do any final adjustments.
IMAG0476.jpg
IMAG0477.jpg
IMAG0478.jpg

After I let the silicone set for 3 hours I could handle it a little...
IMAG0479.jpg
IMAG0480.jpg

Finishing filling in the gaps & gluing the projector in place...
IMAG0484.jpg
IMAG0485.jpg
IMAG0486.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Phase III - Bracket re-install...passenger headlight...

Now with the Lexus projector installed & fully cured I need to trim the Depo mouting bracket so it will clear the Lexus projector. This basically meant installing & uninstalling multiple times for clearance & fit. I didn't want any part of the bracket any closer than 1/4"

Here is the Depo mounting bracket on the housing & the arrow is pointing to the support I must trim to clear the projector...
IMAG0487.jpg

Closer shot of the clearance issue...
IMAG0488.jpg

Support bracket trimmed, cleared, & fully bolted back into place...
IMAG0489.jpg
IMAG0490.jpg

5k bulb & ballast installed & connected. No clearance issues here...
IMAG0491.jpg
IMAG0492.jpg

So far everything looks great. Next step will be adding a support leg to the support bracket I modified. Originally the support bracket was held in place by 4 screws (2 on the headlight housing & 2 on the Depo projector). Once a little support is fabbed this headlight is done & ready to be installed.

Total time on retro on this headlight (minus drying time) is ~5 hours...

OP
OP
Physh1

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phase IV - Fab up supports & mounting tabs...passenger headlight...

Total time on retro on this headlight (minus drying time) is ~7 hours...

2 supports fabbed & installed. White arrow support tab bolting projector to housing (2 screws). Pink arrow is support bracket to replace the original mounting bracket which I had to cut in order to fit the projector (one end bolted...one end epoxied)...
IMAG0497.jpg

Just another shot of the support tab & support bracket...
IMAG0498.jpg

This headlight is done, finished, completed, etc...
IMAG0499.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Phase V - Complete driver side build...

Total time on retro on this headlight (minus drying time) is ~3 hours...got this one does a lot quicker now that I know what I'm doing :D

No need to go over all the little stuff again. For the most part, the driver side build is the same EXCEPT for the needed trimming on the housing & the additional support...

Here is the main spot for clearancing on the driver side headlight...it's the support post for the adjusting bracket...
IMAG0522.jpg

IMAG0523.jpg

IMAG0524.jpg

Bracket trimming & clearancing is basically the same on both headlights. Here are the two headlights...completed passenger above & almost completed driver below...
IMAG0525.jpg

Fabbing the new supports is different on the driver headlight. 2 supports...one for the adjusting bracket & one to support the projector...
IMAG0526.jpg

IMAG0528.jpg

Both headlights completely done...
IMAG0529.jpg

OP
OP
Physh1

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phase VI - Installation :D...

Ballast mounting worked out really well. No trimming needed & routing the harness was straightforward.

The retrofitted Depo headlights are no deeper than the Depo was prior to the job. I didn't remove the rubber behind the headlights, didn't need to modify the washer fluid reservoir, & again no trimming was needed on any of the radiator support or the headlight support panels.

Relay mounting for HID harness...
IMAG0547.jpg

Passenger side ballast mounting...
IMAG0548.jpg

Driver side ballast mounting...
IMAG0549.jpg

Stock lighting...
IMAG0550.jpg

HID lighting...not totally aligned correct yet...
IMAG0551.jpg

Driver side headlight...
IMAG0552.jpg

Blue/purple cut-off...
IMAG0554.jpg

Light on garage door...
IMAG0558.jpg

Purple/blue cut-off...
IMAG0559.jpg

Lights 4 feet away from a Honda...
IMAG0560.jpg

All done...

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:53 PM ----------

My overall impression of this retro so far is that the light quality is amazing. With 14 hours of work over a few weeks into these it was going to suck if heat was going to be a problem. After driving around with them for a few hours the housing were a little warmer than the outside temp.

So far I'm thrilled with the results...I do wish I tested the stock Depo projector with a DDM or similar setup just for comparison but oh well. I think the Depo projector out of the box would give some excellent results but the cut-off, quality, & experience I had doing a true retrofit was totally worth it.

Cameron

Last edited:

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fu-king amazing. nice job man. now i know what i have to do to my depos when i get them

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Awesome job. You put some time into it.

The cutoff is sick...nice and sharp, great color.

Good job!! Now streamline the process and you could charge guys on here to do it for them....

;)

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Why is there a shadow of light above the cutoff in the one pic? Where did you get your Depos from? If you got them off eBay, which seller?

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
diggin the retrofit, I just completed one on my accord. I used Morimoto mini h1s for the ease of installation. Going with a good projector is key. I think I may have to go retro my yukon.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
diggin the retrofit, I just completed one on my accord. I used Morimoto mini h1s for the ease of installation. Going with a good projector is key. I think I may have to go retro my yukon.

Those Morimoto Mini's are pretty slick little projectors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts