Tahoe Died on Highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

99TahoeOwner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hope the fuel pump turns out to be the problem but if in fact the engine shut off like shutting off a light switch, by that I mean immediately instead of gradual over 3-10 seconds, then I still believe the problem will be a spark delivery problem. Lots of years of experience has pointed to fuel pumps when the driver feels the power loss gradually and even with a bucking effect. A lot of times it also is in the way the driver tells the story. Lots of questions and following answers can save a lot of diagnostic time, especially with an intermittent problem.
It was definitely like a switch--sudden, nothing gradual about it. With it just sitting for all those years, I'm not surprised that there is more than one problem. I'll take a look at the distributor. I'm assuming that it wouldn't be a bad idea to change out the plugs, wires, and distributor anyway since they're all 20 years old.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would change filters, fluids, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, inspect the pickup coil wiring while in under the cap, inspect any wires that lead to the distributor....etc.

I would definitely change the brake fluid, coolant, diff fluids, power steering fluid.....all fluids.

brettac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine has done this to me several times. So fast that I almost didn't know it died except I have the radio connected to my phone and the music stopped. Then 2 days ago, it died dead, black, nothing on. It appears it was the battery cable at the terminal, just old and corroded. I trimmed about 3/4" off the cable, and installed a new terminal and think my issue is solved.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse